 Administrative / General / 9878
Re: Eduardo is out of line (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:42:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:

though I don't think he can or should be punished
for an opinion about homosexuals.

Really? What if I were to use the "N" word? It's just an opinion, right?

So you can justify punishing someone for an opinion?

Only for expressing the opinion, I think.

I wouldn't approve of any racial slur being used, but that doesn't mean I
would want to see it banned.  There's a difference I think between making
something socially unacceptable and disallowing it by a mandate.

But then why do you support the mandate against profanity?

I've assumed the goal of these rules is to make LUGNET a place where adults can
do their thing and still be a place that parents are comfortable letting their
kids roam.  Right?  If the F word will drive them off then surely open racism
will as well.  Frankly -- as a parent of two, I'm much more concerned with my
kids being exposed to accepted biggotry than to profanity.

Chris