 Administrative / General / 9869
Re: Eduardo is out of line (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:35:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message
In article <Goo9G1.2p8@lugnet.com>, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com>
wrote:

I think he should be repirmanded as well - only for swearing though. • His
response was very distasteful and out of line, though I don't think he • can
or should be punished for an opinion about homosexuals.  Sure, its an
umpopular opinion among educated people (which I'd assume is most of
LUGNET), but no one should be reprimanded for simply expressing an • opinion

Really? What if I were to use the "N" word? It's just an opinion, right?

So you can justify punishing someone for an opinion?

I think there's a fine line here and IIRC the ToS is deliberately ambiguous
on it. users are enjoined (by the discussion group terms) as follows:

" 4. (do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous,
defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information
of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or
encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to
civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national, or
international law. "

Is calling someone the N word any of these things? I pretty much think it
is. Is just using the N word any of these things? I dunno. (clearly it is
stupid, tasteless, etc except in certain very limited scholarly (like
discussion of word origins) contexts)

Is using the word fag (in modern US context, used as a label for a person)
any of these things? I tend to think so. I see it as equally insulting to
call someone that as it is to call them the N word (and I can't believe we
have been so trained, we don't say the N word even in this context, but I
digress)

Is *being* homophobic any of these things? I dunno. I doubt it. (It's stupid
and tasteless, mind you... but) Is accusing someone else of being homophobic
any of those things? Maybe, actually. (but you'd be stretching it, it's less
clear than applying the N word. "phobic" has pejorative connotation but it's
milder)

But the ToS also says that while one is enjoined from saying abusive or
profane things one is not protected from them being said by others and
subsequently reading them. From the general ToS:

" 4. LUGNET and its owners and/or operators do not control or censor content
in discussion groups. The LUGNET discussion group server is provided as a
“store and forward” mechanism “as is” without filters, which means that you
may encounter material which you find offensive. IT IS YOUR SOLE AND
INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY TO MONITOR OR FILTER CONTENT TO A LEVEL
APPROPRIATE TO YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR FAMILY. If you are under 18 years of
age, ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) for permission and/or supervision
before using this service and make sure they have read and understood this
Terms of Use document. "

Notwithstanding this disclaimer of responsibility for content, LUGNET admins
in the past did take steps to admonish, penalise, or in the extreme on
repeated offense, banish, users who did not abide by the ToS, especially
clause 4 of the discussion group ToS. And that was a good thing. It made
LUGNET a better place.

Whether this can be expected in this case is not clear but I have my doubts.
If a call for banishment gets ignored (1) why would you expect a relatively
minor outburst of profanity to be dealt with? No, we have to deal with it
ourselves.

1 - and Scott's call is still outstanding, he hasn't formally withdrawn it
and it hasn't been formally ruled on, he just said he "considers it
closed"... I take that to mean he despairs of resolution just as I did,
although I could be wrong, maybe that's his way of withdrawing it without
being explicit about it the way I was.