 Off-Topic / Debate / 15321
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:00:37 GMT

A technical argument against avatars could be made on bandwidth grounds.

In fact, this is the argument bioniclezone.com itself gives against hosting
avatars there directly. They can't afford the bandwidth that these avatars
(which appear on every post made by every user that has one) consume and
therefore do so only for members who have paid for premium membership.

So they suggest that users go find free sites to host the pics on. Pushing
the problem off their own site and on to other sites, in essence.

Brickshelf seems to have lots of bandwidth available to it but that's a
happy accident. My suggestion is that everyone who hosts avatars or eBay
images or other things that consume bandwidth and are, shall we say, "less
related" to LEGO than some other images, ought to seriously consider giving
financial support to Brickshelf.