 Marketplace / Auctions / 1440
Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:18:16 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 02:54:42 GMT, "Mike Poindexter" <lego@poindexter.cc>
wrote:

If an auction runs too long, people will lose interest in it.  I speak from a
sample size of 1 - me.  I would chose shorter auctions as opposed to longer
ones.  I do not represent the entire population, but 1 segment.

OK.  G1/G2/Sold auctions can run as long - or as short - as the seller
wants (assuming the auction site allows).  If the seller wants to increase
the 'excitement factor' by keeping the auction shorter, they can:

1. Decrease the time from the start of the auction until the first G1
advancement.
2. Use a shorter G1/G2/Sold cycle.  A general RTL standard is 1 day, but
that's hardly set in stone.  Yahoo! uses 5 minutes, I think (Yahoo! isn't a
G1/G2/Sold system, but they keep auctions open until the newest bid is 5
minutes old).
3. Increase the size of bid increments as time goes on.  Today, a $100 bid
has to be beat by $1.  Tomorrow, the increment will be $2.
4. Increase the pace of the advancement cycle as the auction progresses.
At first, lots advance once per day.  After a few days, they advance every
6 hours.

If the system (eBay's)is inherently unfair, I submit this to you:  The world
is a system and it too is inherently unfair.  Most things in life are.  And
the attempt to make them more fair often times makes things (1) more complex
or (2) broken in some other unforseen way.

And if our mental inertia overwhelms us, social entropy will overcome
everything.

There are many complications to the fixed-ending auction, it just happens
that the complications aren't in the rules.  Sniping is one of the obvious
behavioral complications.

As for defending eBay's system, all I have to do is this.  I am a consumer and
I _LIKE_ their system.  That is all the defense it needs.  My patronage pays
the bills.  My praise does not.

But praise (and criticism) can sometimes have long-term affects on the
bills getting paid.

They are the most successful auction house on
the net.  I usually see people mad at those who are the leader.  Most people I
know hate Microsoft, yet buy their systems.  I don't see them purchase Linux
or OS/2, they don't buy Lotus software.

So?  People don't just sit around and say, "hey, let's be pissed off at the
market leader!"  There's a reason behind the complaints.  I use eBay
because it offers the largest body of bidders/buyers.  I would prefer to
not use eBay, because eBay is slow, painful to navigate, doesn't allow me
to spend my money the way I want to, and cuts off my auctions before I've
realized the highest possible selling price.  AND it's really slow to
e-mail me updates.

People can complain all they want, but the only voice that is heard above the
crowd is the voice of the dollar.  If you don't like their product and still
use it, what reason do they (or anyone) have to change it?

To further increase their profit.

Steve