 Marketplace / Auctions / 1460
Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:13:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, r2eng@primenet.com (R2) writes:
I understand the dilemma, but just because you may want 2 different items
and have a fixed maximum, and I only want one and have the same amount to
spend, doesn't mean e-bay is bad, or I am the bad guy. I have a few sets I
am looking for, and may be willing to spend all my $$ on one lot.

It's a very common thing.

I fully simpathize with your situation, and I have been there! I just do not
think that an auction is the place for that situation. One must prioritize!

You're dreaming!  Why should people be forced to do this?  Bidding on
multiple things in multiple auctions on a tight budget is the norm, not the
exception.

For instance, using your example, you went to a store and found 2 Lego sets
you wanted. You only had enough $ for one. You have to make a decision on
which to buy. A day later, you come back and the other set is gone. Do you
blame the store?? You had to decide.

The set at the store wasn't going to go away if it wasn't purchased by a
pre-ordained point in time.

Besides, the smart thing to do would have been to put 1/2 down on both sets
and paid on the next payday.  ;-)

Although not an auction, I still think that the responsibility is yours to
decide what you want at the moment. If the TRUE frustration is that the
prices for what you want is too high, or you do not have enough cash to
purchase both sets, I do not see how you can blame the auction!

IMO, it *is* the right thing to blame the auction -- because an auction
system that works right for bidders is only a tiny bit more difficult to
implement that one that is totally broken for bidders, such as eBay.

--Todd