 Marketplace / Auctions / 1412
Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:29:59 GMT

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:32:17 GMT, "R2" <r2eng@primenet.com> wrote:

Instead of complaining about e-bay, do not use it. Post to here, or RTL.

Why?  I complain about my government, but I use it anyway.  Not like I have
a choice, or anything.

You know, even live auctions can have "snipers".

My definition of 'sniper' is someone who places a bid so near to the close
of a fixed-ending auction that other bidders cannot respond to the new bid,
even if they want to.

In live auctions, you always have the choice to rebid.  Or not.

Steve, I am sorry I struck a nerve with you.

Not a big nerve, it's just that you made a reasonable statement that had
been thoroughly thrashed out and demonstrated to be false.  Proxy bidding
is extremely useful, but it isn't a cure-all.  If it was, all auctions
would feature sealed bids.

I certainly just added my $0.02
to the mix. I did not realize you were so very passionate about e-bay.

There are others who are much more passionate.  I just happened to be the
first to respond to you.

Unlike the government, or more importantly the IRS, e-bay is a choice.
Auctions, even live auctions, can bring outrageous prices.

Very true.  Many people are amazed at the prices on eBay.  I'm not one of
them.

As far as e-bay,
I have purchased there, and have sold there. As an alternative to e-bay, try
supporting Yahoo, Serious Collector, or RTL and Lugnet. E-bay is a HUGE
company now, and the others are just starting out.

Auctions have been run on RTL for much longer than I've known about eBay.

I am not sure,
truthfully, what can be done by an auction host to stop sniping at or near
the end of an auction.

They can stop using the fixed-ending model for running their auctions.
Again, this has been thrashed out here and on RTL (and probably many other
places as well).

Cutting an auction short for almost any reason tells
me that the seller just wants to get a certain price for his goods, and not
the highest price.

It tells me that the auction-hosting site wants to limit the length of
auctions, for whatever reason, and the seller wants to go with the largest
site possible.

Lugnet and RTL have been wonderful for not only Lego, but for meeting
honest and wonderful people.

That is the truth.

Steve