 Marketplace / Auctions / 1432
1431  |  1433
Subject:
Planning, not arguments, please (was Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:07:27 GMT

R2 wrote:

If you don't like the way they do business, just do not use e-bay!

I'll reiterate my position on this. Some people like eBay (not e-bay, by
the way) and some don't.

This particular thread is NOT supposed to be a general defense of eBay.

It is NOT supposed to be an explanation of why eBay is flawed, either.

Both of those topics have been covered in depth already. Over and over.
So please, everyone, stop. Go reread the 1400 appends this group has
already to see if your point hasn't already been made.

What this thread IS supposed to be is a discussion of whether there is a
way to get a different behaviour out of eBay than the standard out of
the box one, without violating the rules eBay has set up. I claim that
would be a useful thing to do, as an experiment, for a number of
reasons.

1 - it would show that we as a group could work out a workable system as
a collaborative effort instead of just arguing...
2 - it would gather valuable market data on whether such a system would
be accepted by buyers, and adopted by some sellers.
3 - it would gather valuable data on how eBay itself would react to a
"short circuit" of their rules.

So please, please please, everyone.

Stop debating about whether eBay is good or bad. Contribute to the
discussion of how to set up this behaviour, or stay out of it
completely. Those of you that are debating this are covering old ground
and missing the point of this thread.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.