 Marketplace / Auctions / 1418
Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:32:46 GMT

Larry, I realize that this has been hashed out before, but I must put this
in:  The reason that it doesn't work is that you don't know how much you have
to spend until the auctions close and whether or not you bought something and
drained your bank account.  Well, the guy who ended every auction at the same
time actually helped the snipers out greatly.  Not bad for somebody trying to
foil them.  I am a sniper at times.  I would rather bid the minimum amount
possible for something and then be outbid, sometimes immediately.  Then I
watch the lots on My eBay.  When they come close to a close, I send in the big
bid.  This way, I know at that moment how much I can spend, since all my other
bids are either outbid or rediculously low.  I realize that some people can't
be on all the time, but they can't be in Toys 'R' Us 24/7 either.  So they
miss some SW sets and they lose some bids.  You seem to be on all the time,
judging by the frequency of your posts.

If you want to bid on 50 lots at once, this is the risk you run.  When I bid,
I usually have high bid in no more than 1 or 2 auctions.  This is what works
for me on eBay.  I will continue to snipe as long as it benefits me.  If the
rules change, I will change to once again give me the biggest benefit.  I hate
to sound bad, but most of this sounds like sour grapes to me.  If you REALLY
want the metroliner, bid on it.  If you don't know how much you can spend on
it because you have 45 other bids open, then you wanted those other 45 lots
enough to jeopardize the metroliner.

I have seen items I have sold jump from $60 w/ 2 minutes left to $90 with 12
seconds left to $100+ at close.  I didn't complain that the guy at $60 didn't
get to retaliate.  If he did, the others probably wouldn't be there to snipe
and it would have gone for less.

Mike Poindexter

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Martin Legault wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, John DiRienzo writes:
  Hi Lego auction enthusiasts,

  I want to give this idea below some consideration.  I had an auction end
last night where the bidder who had the high bid for five days was outbid
with forty seconds remaining.  Needless to say, he was upset, and said he
was willing to pay over $50 above the final bid.
<snip>

If he was willing to pay 50$ more wy didn't he put his proxy 50$ more in the
first place?

This has been discussed in detail before. Several dozen appends right
here in this very group debunk this line of reasoning, at least for a
significant fraction of buyers. You might want to review that rather
than repeating the same argument again, which has been thoroughly
discredited from my perspective.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.