 Marketplace / Auctions / 1442
Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:28:03 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 03:38:56 GMT, "Mitchell I. Puschett"
<mpuschett@pol.net> wrote:

One of the biggest virtues of an auction is fairness - the idea that each
bidder will walk away having won an item or having lost it to someone
who wanted it more. (Money is a crude approximation of desire, but its
the best one we have.) Similarly, a seller should leave with the confidence
that his product was sold at a price no other bidder was willing to exceed.
Sniping is effective at undermining this conversion of supply and demand.
It disturbs the basic fairness of the market. If sniping did not work bidders
would not practice it, and others would not complain about it.

Very nicely said.

Steve