 Marketplace / Auctions / 1441
Re: Planning, not arguments, please (was Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:26:40 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 06:24:29 GMT, "John DiRienzo"
<jdiri14897@email.msn.com> wrote:

  And another thing.  The sniper has a valid argument in this scenario.  He
may say that he put in a proxy bid of $200, and the snipee had placed a bid
of $150, thus the sniper won at $155.  Then when I tell the sniper that he
has not won, because of the rule outlined in my description, but that the
snipee has won at $150, then where does this lead?  Obviously he would be
angry since his proxy was much higher than what the snipee is going to pay
for the item.

He should have read the rules of the auction.  Several messages have stated
that the auction announcement should and must include a description of how
the auction is going to differ from a regular eBay auction.  Bidders should
always read auction announcements carefully.

In this case do I tell each bidder to send me his highest
possible bid (like a sealed bid auction after the auction) and then forward
the results to each bidder?

No, you tell the sniper to go reread the announcement.

It is kind of funny that we are trying to figure out a way to make eBay
auctions run more fairly, and our idea of 'more fair' leads to the
conclusion that auctions run 'our way' will tend to cost buyers more money.

Steve