 Marketplace / Auctions / 1428
Re: [DISC] Shortcircuit eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 02:54:42 GMT

James,

If an auction runs too long, people will lose interest in it.  I speak from a
sample size of 1 - me.  I would chose shorter auctions as opposed to longer
ones.  I do not represent the entire population, but 1 segment.

If the system (eBay's)is inherently unfair, I submit this to you:  The world
is a system and it too is inherently unfair.  Most things in life are.  And
the attempt to make them more fair often times makes things (1) more complex
or (2) broken in some other unforseen way.

As for defending eBay's system, all I have to do is this.  I am a consumer and
I _LIKE_ their system.  That is all the defense it needs.  My patronage pays
the bills.  My praise does not.  They are the most successful auction house on
the net.  I usually see people mad at those who are the leader.  Most people I
know hate Microsoft, yet buy their systems.  I don't see them purchase Linux
or OS/2, they don't buy Lotus software.

People can complain all they want, but the only voice that is heard above the
crowd is the voice of the dollar.  If you don't like their product and still
use it, what reason do they (or anyone) have to change it?  This is a free
market and is bound by its laws.  It will continue to reign supreme until
something better comes along.

No offense to Derick Bulkley's Serious Collector, because I really like it.  I
just currently prefer eBay.  I will continue to buy from both, but as a
seller, I would post my items on eBay.

Mike