 General / 34333
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 04:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
But ignoring Mindstorms and Technic (what little exists) the sets are less
*sophisticated* from a design point of view.  You may be right, the colors,
pieces and themes may be wide ranging, but the technical make-up of the sets
has dropped dramatically.

This theory is utterly simple to prove.
The police headquarters I had when I was a kid:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/370
The police headquarters kids must suffer with today:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4611
One looks (at least reasonably) like a building.  It has doors, a roof and
walls.

One has 280 pieces, one has 137 pieces. Hardly a fair comparison.
And "suffer with"? I have a mental image of a child screaming "No, no,
please don't make me play with it!"

The other looks (at least to my stupid old eyes) like an elevator shaft
that's missing some of it's walls.  And for some reason the jail isn't even
attached.  Poor, shoddy, crumby, juvenile design.  That is my point.
Producing a larger building, with more play possibilities (you can put the
figs in the cars and in the buildings!), with fewer pieces.

My point was that kids today can handle (with ease) a vast array of
complicated electronics and information.  They *can* handle putting together
simple building with walls and a roof.  Take a look at those two police
headquarters noted above.  Does that one from 1975 really look that hard to
build?
No, it could probably be built without the instructions.

Cheers

Richie Dulin