 General / 34312
Re: Markets and juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:42:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bradley Dale writes:
My big question: Why does LEGO need today's kids?  What if LEGO focused on
being such a good toy for ages 12+ that every teen and adult wanted to build
with it?  Not just adults that are currently AFOLS, but everyone!  I think
that would be really cool.  Is it possible?

Does LEGO really want a market that wants juniorization? :)

Well-- it's not just about money for the Lego Company. It's about their
values. I mean, if they found some new super-product that made them more
money, would they drop the Lego product and make the new one? Nah. It's just
not their particular business. Lego's focus has (very nearly) always been
kids. Not teenagers, not adults. Kids. They certainly don't turn away older
people-- but they're not the focus.

Quite frankly, I'm rather happy with most of what they've been doing lately.
The new My Own Train stuff is not very juniorized, they're offering bulk
bricks (in odd colors and pieces!), they're coming out with non-juniorized
sculptures and models (Sopwith Camel, Statue of Liberty, UCS sets), etc.
It's not their primary trade, though. It's only a minority of sets that are
geared towards adults (or teenagers) like these.

Would it be cool if they catered to us? Sure! I think so. Kids might not
though. And being that they're the both the largest source of income and
also the focal group of the company, I don't think it's gonna happen. I'm
quite content to let them cater to us as much as they can and still make a
profit on it. And if the adult market grows? Maybe they'll cater to us more.
But I don't think they'll take the focus off of kids.

DaveE