 General / 34324
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 02:35:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Stuart Immonen writes:
In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Lego keeps saying that junorization is what todays video-game kids want
but is it really true?

<snip>

I've got to give TLC credit where it is due, because juniorization is working
very well.  Look at the success of Bionicle-- that is a *totally* juniorized
line IMO.  For a builder such as I, Bionicle is a nightmare because virtually
every piece in the line is unusable.

The success of Bionicle is not the success of LEGO.  It is the success of a
line that is closer to action figures than building bricks.  It's a sad day,
not one to celebrate.

I agree with this entirely, and my own son, who shares with me tens of
thousands of regular (ie stackable, if not rectilinear) bricks, _loves_
Bionicles, and has asked for nothing else (lego-wise) for Christmas.

Do I read you correctly?  You're saying he's asked for nothing but Bionicles
for Christmas?  Or nothing but LEGO products?  If it's the former, then my
point above is reinforced.

He has a separate container for minifigs and their acessories, and prefers
to play with them alone on the barest of play surfaces, or once-made and
never-broken-down sets. He likes to _collect_ special pieces, such as
crystals, animals, weapons, cameras and so on. The HP sets are _wonderful_
for this purpose, and I prefer to get him these over Bionicles.

As any good parent would.  ;)

But it's successful, and, generally
speaking, what's good for TLC is good for us.

Well, as long as TLC continue to offer traditional bricks in a variety of
colours, or sets which use these.

But they aren't.  And that's what folks like me are railing against.  They
have produced Bionicles and Harry Potter and Jack Stone etc. etc. at the
exclusion (or so it would seem) of traditional brick-based sets.  As well,
try to find a simple bucket of bricks on the toy shelves of my local Zellers
store... it can't be done, and it's less than 4 weeks to Christmas.

I think there is a market, say age 14 and up, who would want highly detailed
sets like the SW x-wing, tie interceptor, and blockade runner, or the
technic supercars for instance. When I hit that age, the first of the
technic cars were coming out, and, even though I didn't get any (darn you,
my parents), it lkept my interest in the toy high.

It kept your interest high and sustained apparently, as you're now posting
to a LEGO-related website?  What about your son when he grows up?  Will he
be posting to LUGNET or BIONICLENET?

It's not a question of what a broad sampling wants. Do you *want* Primo or
Duplo?  *Personally* I don't, but should I be calling for its demise?  Of course
not, because it has a niche (of which I happen to not be a part).

I agree here, too. I believe getting kids interested in the building process
early makes them life-long builders. My son builds MOCs tentatively, but I
don't think he'll ever _stop_ at this point.

Primo and Duplo are entirely separate lines from LEGO that kids 5 - 7 and up
can realistically use.  They are necessary and I can't imagine someone
arguing their demise.  But lines like Jack Stone that speak down to kids
with the shallowness of their design... these lines must be replaced with
more realistic and more brick-based sets.  The sooner, the better.

Regards,
Allan B.