 General / 34375
Re: Markets and juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:35:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Bradley Dale writes:
My big question: Why does LEGO need today's kids?  What if LEGO focused on
being such a good toy for ages 12+ that every teen and adult wanted to build
with it?  Not just adults that are currently AFOLS, but everyone!  I think
that would be really cool.  Is it possible?

Does LEGO really want a market that wants juniorization? :)

Well-- it's not just about money for the Lego Company. It's about their
values. I mean, if they found some new super-product that made them more
money, would they drop the Lego product and make the new one? Nah.

Um, yes they would.  They already have.  It's called Bionicle.  It is so far
from their core product that it's not even readily compatible.

No no-- I mean totally different. Things without kids as the focus. Think fax
machines. Cars. Real estate. If they found a great new way to make a solar
powered car that would revoloutionize the world, would they drop the
contruction toy line and follow it? Nah. They'd probably just sell the idea and
be done with it. Their focus is children.

Not that they would spend much R&D money on such products, but I see your
point now.

It's just
not their particular business. Lego's focus has (very nearly) always been
kids. Not teenagers, not adults. Kids. They certainly don't turn away older
people-- but they're not the focus.

They are turning away older people right now.  Their catalog is an afront to
any one over 12.

Oh? I'm over 12. I like it. All of it? No. But check out some of the bulk
items. The Guarded Inn. Pirate sets. The Sopwith Camel. The My Own Train stuff
(great stuff!). Statue of Liberty. All appealing to adults. I think. Does the
majority of the catalog intreuge me? Not really. Except maybe to get specific
parts from a set that I need.

I guess I try to look at it with both my kid brain and my adult brain.
Neither one likes it at all.  :)

They can't seem to realize that their fans *do* grow up and guess what??? Many
of us want adult level sets and/or access to bulk  bricks.

Still. We're not the majority of the money makers for them. And not their
target market. And yes, they do give adults *some* of what we want. All of it?
Nah. But some.

We're not their target market for only one reason... we've never been.
There is nothing stopping them from including us in their target market,
they just seem to prefer things the way they've always been.  Ironically
this non-evolutionary attitude doesn't apply to the quality design work they
used to put into their products.

And if it's *successful*, maybe they'll be encouraged to do it
more. But they won't stop things like Bionicle and Jack Stone.

Let me set the record straight, because I think I'm being misunderstood.  I
don't want them to stop making things *like* Jack Stone or Bionicle.  It's
just that I want them to make thing like that BETTER.  If Bionicle is
selling at all, it's in spite of crappy design, incompatibility with
traditional bricks, and a nearly incomprehensible theme.  Imagine if one or
more of these attributes were improved... the line would sell even more.  I
want LEGO to produce anything they think might sell (within reason), but I
beg them to do it with even a hint of the style and grandeur that they used
to have.

I want LEGO to be incredibly successful... I wish them only the best.  But I
want them to do it in such a way that they maintain the integrity of the
product that, has until now, stood the test of time.  I want them to design
lines like Bioncile in such a way that they create new LEGO fans, and not
just new Bionicle fans.  I didn't come to love LEGO because of great Classic
Space or Expert Builder sets.  I got to be a young LEGO fan because of great
LEGO sets... period.

Oh, as for Jack Stone... that's a line that should simply never have been
made.  It's relatively clear where they thought they were going, but they
ended up so wide of the mark that they have produced a line that Megablocks
would have rejected 10 years ago.

Quite frankly, I'm rather happy with most of what they've been doing lately.
The new My Own Train stuff is not very juniorized,

I hope you aren't looking for any Town-style buildings to flesh out your
train world.

they're offering bulk bricks (in odd colors and pieces!),

And what an odd selection it is indeed.  Where are the bricks, tiles and
slopes available to the designers at the LEGO theme parks?  They can
obviously be had in quantities... why not make them available to the general
public?

? Keep in mind two things. 1st off, it's a START. They aren't convinced yet
that bulk and My Own Train is gonna fly off the shelves. They're pacing
themselves. Coming out with an ENTIRE selection of city buildings, trains,
vehicles, greenery, landscaping, etc, and coming out with EVERY piece in the
bulk selection is extraordinarily cost prohibitive. Why risk it when you don't
know that it's gonna be a hit or not? And if you're not buying bulk because
you're waiting till EVERYTHING you want is available, you're only convincing
them more that bulk is a bad idea.

I'm not waiting until EVERYTHING is available.  I'm trying to raise my voice
as a concerned customer and let my favorite corporate entity how they can be
a better seller.  I wouldn't do this for any other company in the world.

As for bulk parts.  Why not go for an 'Architectural Bucket'?  Or a 'Classic
Space Designer's Set'?  Or a 'Town Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Tub'?  You
don't have to sell every single part separately in order to make vast
quantities of usable parts available to the general public.

This isn't rocket science folks.  I'm just suggesting that they find new and
creative ways to market and package an already established product.  I'm not
asking them to create new bricks/molds.  I'm not asking them to sell
something outside of their area of expertise.  I'm not asking them to
reinvent the wheel.  I'm just asking them to sell me something they already
manufacture, but for some reason won't release to the public.

2nd thing. Let's say that they'll never put out more than X% of their line
that's geared towards adults. Let's say that they'll only produce 10 sets a
year geared towards adults. Is this not better than nothing? Will you refuse to
buy any of them because it's not available all at once?

If they are 10 (or even 5) quality sets at reasonable prices and they appear
on store shelves... I'll buy them.  It's this whole over-priced mail-order
thing that's driving me nuts.

Can you not wait for
the pieces you want? Personally, I can wait if need be for the pieces I want.
Would I prefer them to be available now? Sure. But it doesn't mean I think they
should change their business strategy around me. I'm not their biggest money
maker. They shouldn't.

I'm not suggesting that adults will ever dominate their sales ledgers.  What
I'm trying to say is that they are selling to adults despite a solid
understanding of what adults want and are willing to pay for.  I don't speak
for all adults, only myself.  But I do feel that I present an alternative
opinion of adult fans that has never been heard by the company.

they're coming out with non-juniorized
sculptures and models (Sopwith Camel, Statue of Liberty, UCS sets), etc.

If you can afford them.  Many adults (not to mention kids) simply find these
sets way way out of reach.  Where are the sculpture sets UNDER $30?

Sculptures I dunno about. Sculptures really need to be large in order to be
'display worthy' I think... the UCS stuff though (essentially Model Team) is
another story. But *under* $30? That's pretty skimpy. $30-$50 though I can see
doing, and still make sets that are worthy display pieces. And I'll agree with
you. It'd be nice if they offered some. But it doesn't change the fact that the
large sets are still catered to adults and are decent sets.

But why not try to apply the same sculpture or at least brick-heavy approach
to lower end price points.  Megablocks is doing this extremely well.  Am I
to believe that LEGO is so much more expensive to produce?  Or are they just
selling the old brand name for all they can squeeze out of the consumer?

Would it be cool if they catered to us? Sure! I think so. Kids might not
though.

Here's my suggestion... why not cater to BOTH!  It's really not that hard.

Well, is it? As evidenced by their recent efforts, they're trying. They're
testing the waters. I mean, heck, they're starting a "line" for BUSINESSes.

Do you mean the management courses?

Once upon a time they were marketing to adults back in the 60's (I think?). It
flopped then, of course.

Do you mean Modulex?

And now they're trying it again.

They are?

They're testing the
waters. Will they cater to both? They're starting to. Will it continue? I hope
so. Will it make them less money? Maybe. Maybe not. But they're not going to
stop catering to kids. They'll keep making Bionicles. Jack Stones. Racers. Etc.
Juniorization is here to stay. But the question is, is that all there will be?
Let's hope not.

It doesn't *have* to be this way... that's my point.  The thought that
juniorization is somehow necessary or is being demanded by the market is a
false notion.  Things can always change... hopefully for the better.

Regards,
Allan B.