 General / 34307
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Lego keeps saying that junorization is what todays video-game kids want
but is it really true?

I think there's a couple problems. Lego is marketing itself as a specific
kit. What can you build with the Hogwart's Castle set? Hogwart's Castle of
course! It uses *all* the pieces nicely with none leftover, and doesn't
provide (any?) alternative model instructions and very few ideas. Now look
at K'nex. Slews of ideas. It's marketed more as a BUILDING toy, and less of
a 'set'.

Result? Kids buy Lego for the model, not for the building toy. LOTS of kids
buy Lego for the set, build it, then promptly leave it built forever.

Lots of kids complain I bet. They hate that it takes so long to build, that
it's difficult to do (you've got to pay attention to the pictures and find
the right bricks!), etc.

Result? They complain. And they don't play with the sets. Parents complain.
Lego hears the complaints. They dumb down the sets. The kids complain less.
And we complain more. Who's the larger market base? Kids by far. They win.

BUT. The interesting thing is that there ARE kids who want it as a building
toy. And the ones that have the resolve and patience to build a
non-juniorized set get less attached to Lego since it's not as much fun. It
means less long term "hard-core" fans.

Also. Will Lego's sales REALLY be hurt if they take juniorization away? I
dunno. How much will sales drop? I dunno. How much would they pick up? No
clue. It's really too bad that there isn't good market data available. Plus
there's so many other factors that it's tough to judge... What's best for
Lego? Nobody knows. We just know what we want.

DaveE