 General / 34313
Re: Markets and juniorization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:48:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bradley Dale writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Lego keeps saying that junorization is what todays video-game kids want
but is it really true?

My big question: Why does LEGO need today's kids?  What if LEGO focused on
being such a good toy for ages 12+ that every teen and adult wanted to build
with it?  Not just adults that are currently AFOLS, but everyone!  I think that
would be really cool.  Is it possible?

Better still, why won't LEGO design toys that will *force* kids to use their
brains? I am getting sick and tired of having kids so "TV-dependant" that
they cannot articulate words properly any longer.

Does LEGO really want a market that wants juniorization? :)

Do WE?
It is a sociological issue: do we want OUR kids to be dumb, because their
environment "dumbs" them down? Or is it up to us to fight this trend, say
buying difficult toys to give 'em?
We are creating a generation of lazy kids:

"Daddy, it's too hard!"
"What is, son?"
"This game you're trying to teach me!"
"It's called 'Hide and Seek', son! Would you rather build LEGO?"
"Nah, it is too complicated. I wanna play that game on the Computer! At
least I get to see green stuff spilling out of the dead guys! AND all I got
to do is press a bunch of buttons!"

A possible future?

Pedro