 General / 34303
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Lego keeps saying that junorization is what todays video-game kids want
but is it really true?

What we need is an experiment, to prove once and for all if junorization
is what the market wants.

But you just said yourself why juniorization is here-- because of video game
kids with short attention spans.  So your little experiment should be *against*
a video game (use any LEGO set you want. The idea is to get the kid *playing*
with the toy ASAP, before he gets bored in the assembley stage).  Or take a 5
year old kid and place your 2 sets in front of him.  Which will *he* choose?
Because *he* is the market juniorization addresses.  Better yet, take your best
LEGO set and put it up against cable TV with a remote....

I've got to give TLC credit where it is due, because juniorization is working
very well.  Look at the success of Bionicle-- that is a *totally* juniorized
line IMO.  For a builder such as I, Bionicle is a nightmare because virtually
every piece in the line is unusable.  But it's successful, and, generally
speaking, what's good for TLC is good for us.

Take 2 sets, one jr and one representing the best lego can do but both
being roughly equivilent in terms of subject etc.
Lets use 4611 jack stone police HQ as the jr set, its a set thats pretty
much everywhere you look.
And lets use the 6398 central precinct HQ as the good quality set.

<snip>

If you have a large enough and broad enough sampling of LEGO's customer
base then an experiment like this would answer the simple question: Does
the market realy want junorization?

It's not a question of what a broad sampling wants. Do you *want* Primo or
Duplo?  *Personally* I don't, but should I be calling for its demise?  Of course
not, because it has a niche (of which I happen to not be a part).

Further, we AFOLs may not want juniorization, but we are *already* LEGO
customers.  I think our needs are being addressed very well by LD.  Our best
hope as AFOLs is to make sure LD does well, because, specifically speaking, if
LD does well, it is great for AFOLs.

As for Billund, they are worried about the toy market in general-- market share,
competitors, etc.  They are eyeing the *non-LEGO GP* and trying to determine how
best to grab *them*.

-John