 General / 34316
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:28:38 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> writes:
I think there's a couple problems. Lego is marketing itself as a specific
kit. What can you build with the Hogwart's Castle set? Hogwart's Castle of
course! It uses *all* the pieces nicely with none leftover, and doesn't
provide (any?) alternative model instructions and very few ideas. Now look
at K'nex. Slews of ideas. It's marketed more as a BUILDING toy, and less of
a 'set'.

Result? Kids buy Lego for the model, not for the building toy. LOTS of kids
buy Lego for the set, build it, then promptly leave it built forever.

That's nothing new.  When I was a kid (around 5, I think), my parents
invited another kid around my age to come play with me.  My mom tells
me that I invited the kid to play Legos.  His response: "*PLAY* Legos??"
It had never occurred to him to build anything but what the instructions
said.

And this was in the mid-1970's.

--Bill.