 General / 34298

Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 01:17:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Lego keeps saying that junorization is what todays video-game kids want
but is it really true?

What we need is an experiment, to prove once and for all if junorization
is what the market wants.
Take 2 sets, one jr and one representing the best lego can do but both
being roughly equivilent in terms of subject etc.
Lets use 4611 jack stone police HQ as the jr set, its a set thats pretty
much everywhere you look.
And lets use the 6398 central precinct HQ as the good quality set.
Both sets are pretty equivilent in that they both have a list price of
~$70 and both have 5 figures.
It may be that if the 6398 was released today it would have a higher
list price but lets ignore this for now since it would complicate matters :)
There are possibly other parings of jack-stone and classic town that you
could do as well but this will do for an example.

Get a jr set like the 4611 and a non jr set like the 6398. Make sure
both have boxes, instructions etc and are good enough quality (so as not
to bias the experiment). Then get a sampling of the different parts of
LEGO's consumer demographic, for example:
AFOLs buying for themselves
AFOLs buying for their kids
kids of AFOLs
parents who arent AFOLs
kids of non AFOL parents
etc
Then show each person/group both sets. Mention relavent information like
price and so on.
Then get them to evaluate both sets and pick which one they would
choose, based on price, interest, piece count, buildability,
playability, packaging and so on. Basicly, if they were in a store and
saw both sets and were going to choose one (to buy as a xmas/bday gift,
to save up for, to buy for themselves or whatever) which one would they
be more likely to pick.

If you have a large enough and broad enough sampling of LEGO's customer
base then an experiment like this would answer the simple question: Does
the market realy want junorization?

Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Does the market realy want junorization?

Even if I do not like the answer, I think it is:
"Yes, market demands junorized sets"

Leg Godt!

Ben

Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?