 General / 34300
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:12:07 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:

Does the market realy want junorization?

Even if I do not like the answer, I think it is:
"Yes, market demands junorized sets"

Leg Godt!

Ben

look at it this way: Given the choice between a juniorized set and a non
juniorized set that are otherwise both very similar (like the 2 police
stations in my example) which set would most lego consumers choose?

The most important question is: if there were only non jr sets on the
shelves, would lego consumers buy:
A.more lego than they are at the moment (especially more at full price)
B.less lego than they are at the moment
or C.about the same.
Unless the answer to this is B then lego is making a mistake by making
the jr stuff.

Does anyone accually have any hard data that shows that jack stone is
accually selling (vis a vis, say, creator which is not as juniorized)
I have heard various stories from people that:
Think megablocks is lego but better because megablocks have lots of
bricks & lego doesnt
Wish they could buy a box of just bricks (there are a few but they are
very hard to find here in perth, I havent seen one around for a while)
and others along the same lines.

I think lego should be making good, non jr products that have NO story
attatched whatsoever (unlike creator, jack stone, starwars, harry
potter, bionicle etc etc etc) and then marketing the hell out of them.
Ever since that fire and the decision by the founder of LEGO to
concentrate on the plastic bricks, lego has been about open ended play
that encourages imagination. That (IMHO) is why lego is loosing profit,
because they have strayed from their roots.