 General / 34304
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:19:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Lego keeps saying that junorization is what todays video-game kids want
but is it really true?

What we need is an experiment, to prove once and for all if junorization
is what the market wants.
<snip>

After reading many of the replies to the thread I influenced...

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=34184

...I have been reaching the conclusion that perhaps junior-themes do indeed
have a place in TLC's plans.  As I have voiced, my concern is that they
promote such themes to the exclusion of *general* product lines geared
towards a slightly older age bracket.  It has always seemed to me that the
6-12 age group was the primary target of Lego, since earlier ages seem less
able to grasp the advanced building techniques needed to truly appreciate
the toy, and children older than 12 start to move away from toys for social
reasons (that's why so many AFOLs suffer a Dark Age).

I don't think they should do away with junior-themes, only that they should
also offer decent mid-range themes thereafter.  And they should be somewhat
general in scope -where, as has been implied, the SW, HP, etc. are very
specific about topics and stories.

Back to your experiment, I like the idea.  To be truly scientific, you would
have to have a control group or two where you just give them the sets and
tell them nothing at all (as opposed to your suggestion that you give
information about prices and such) and simply observe which groups do what
with what.  The suggestion of possibly also experimenting with other
non-Lego products versus the given Lego one is also valid.

I suspect TLC conducts experiments of some kind to this end.  Whether they
actually use older sets of their own though, I couldn't say.  And I doubt
they are about to publish their results whether they are good or bad.

If I was a testing subject of the experiment, I would likely vote for the
older set you mentioned...

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6398

...At my first impression I simply think it is a cool looking building with
a sleek architecture.  It looks bigger.  This is a quick impression I get
simply by looking at the pictures of the two sets briefly.  I didn't even
notice yet which set have how many or what type of mini-figures or vehicles.
I also do not have either of these two sets in my collection from which to
draw biased opinions.  However, I am also 29 and not the 5 years of age that
the set might be targeting.

...Then again, if it's a 70 dollar set, who needs to be impressed most?  The
5 year old with enough change in his pocket for a candy bar?  Or the working
parent with a credit card and a desire to get the child something decent for
the holidays?  ...Or the AFOL who'd love to have a Town set?

My 2 cents.
-H.