 General / 34347
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:50:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

But they aren't.  And that's what folks like me are railing against.  They
have produced Bionicles and Harry Potter and Jack Stone etc. etc. at the
exclusion (or so it would seem) of traditional brick-based sets.  As well,
try to find a simple bucket of bricks on the toy shelves of my local Zellers
store... it can't be done, and it's less than 4 weeks to Christmas.

Pardon me, but TLC offers something *better* than buckets-- bulk packs!  I

I was speaking for the kid in me who still likes going into a store and
buying a new bucket of LEGO bricks.  He's very sad these days.

The bulk packs (and all the other LEGO Direct stuff) may be great for some,
but for me it's done nothing.  Thanks to LEGO shutting down their Canadian
operations entirely, the cost of ordering such parts is astronomical.  I'd
rather see stuff in the stores that I could buy right there and then.

know
folk like to rail on about the slowness of this service being expanded, but step
back a moment.  Three years ago we all would have killed for the possibility of
such a service to become reality!

Three years ago Canadian retail stores were full of 30th anniversary LEGO
tubs and buckets.  It was heaven.  I bought lots.  Today... not a bucket to
be found.  Today, I don't spend nearly as much.  Who loses here?  Me... and
the company.

And now we have it.  And we have the ear of
LD.

Well, we have them making announcements here.  I'm not sure how far beyond
that it goes.  It seems that if you're not part of an elite inner circle
then really you just get to hear what it is that they have to say.

And we are getting some of the most popular sets ever released *rereleased*

True.

.  And we are in the middle of the release of the most popular theme ever (SW).
And, as I'm told, we haven't seen anything yet!

I hope so.  There is so much more they could be doing.

Forget about juniorization-- think of it as Duplo senior and let it go.  What's
coming down the pike is going to be awesome

I can't let it go, sorry.  It's my sworn duty as LEGO fan to bring these
issues out into the light.  I just think the problem isn't that hard to fix,
and actually could have been done without such a thing as LEGO Direct.
Remember... if the mother company doesn't fix her own problems... you won't
have a LEGO Direct to deal with at all.  They are not and could not be a
stand-alone company.  If LEGO itself goes broke, so do they.

Regards,
Allan B.