 General / 34329
Re: Question: Does the market realy want junorization?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 03:16:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:

I've got to give TLC credit where it is due, because juniorization is working
very well.  Look at the success of Bionicle--

Just keep it in mind that this line is actually the third revision of
throwbots (followed by roboriders), which I think must not have done very
well because they were not only discontinued but found on sale quite quickly
after their respective initial releases.

How sad that it takes them 3 tries to get juniorization right.

Maybe if they went back to making the sets they make best... the ones with
square and rectangular bricks in them... they'd have more success out of the
gate.

On the plus side, I went to TRU during lunch and discovered the two
rereleased pirate sets in nice full color boxes sitting on the shelves.
This suggested to me that not only did LD rethink their black and white
boxes, they are no longer exclusively selling directly to the customer --
but also through other distribution channels within TLC.  Smart.

Please give them the address of the Zeller's store nearest me.  It seems
that the LEGO asile there is shrinking.  Megablocks now has nearly the same
footage of shelving.  This is very very sad.

They are eyeing the *non-LEGO GP* and trying to determine how best to grab
*them*.

They should be concentrating on what they do best -- produce interlocking
brick construction toys -- and leave the rest to those who can best service
other niches in the marketplace.  I don't see any reason for TLC to try and
compete with Disney, Mattel, McFarland Toys, etc.  Frankly, I don't see a
need for Legolands, watches, sportswear, cd-roms, or pens either.  But
whatever...I remain unconvinced that these product lines do anything for
them long-term.

Give this man a prize.  Well said.

Quality matters to me, not the ubiquity of branded product lines. For the
record -- I have never been to legoland, I don't have any lego watches, nor
sportwear, nor pens.  I admit to having a few cd-roms, but I also admit to
thinking they are garbage.

I have never bought nor will I ever buy ANYTHING that LEGO makes that isn't
a brick-based building set.  It must be either a bucket of bricks.  A box of
bricks.  A sandwich bag full of bricks.  Or just a simple little police car
with only 13 bricks (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/611).  But it MUST have
bricks in it.  Otherwise... what's the point?

Regards,
Allan B.