 Events / BricksWest / 371
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:50:27 GMT

Getting enough FRS radios should NOT be a problem.  They are dirt cheap and very
common these days.

I own 4 myself so far (for car club outings), and I'll probably own more by next
Feb.  Bringing them all for use is not a problem.

HOWEVER, the problem is deciding who gets them, and how they are to be returned.
That could turn into a nightmare.

What I suggest is the following:
1 - If you borrow an FRS from someone, you give them a card with ALL of your home
contact info (name, address, phone, cellphone (if you have one), pager #, email
address, etc).    The owner gives you a card with the same info.

2 - If you are unable to return the FRS to the owner by the end of BW, for ANY
reason, whether it is "your fault" or not (you can't find the person, they had to
leave before the end, etc, etc), it is your responsibility to snailmail the FRS and
any accessories back to the owner ASAP.  (Last time I loaned out FRS radios for a
car club outing, it was 2 weeks before I got one back.  It was no big deal at the
time, but I'd rather not see that happen to anyone.  And if I loaned out 3 of my 4
and didn't get any of them back at the end of BW, the one I had would be pretty
useless until I got any of them back.)

That handles the possible nightmare of returning them.  Now for other points:

3 - We try to stick with FRS with Privacy Codes (2 of mine do not have them, so I
will most likely not bring them, and buy another pair that do have them).  This
cuts down on crosstalk with the public (I see them in use at LLC by families all
the time).

4 - we choose 5 or more channels, including Privacy Codes, WELL before BW happens.
If some family is using the primary, switch to the 2nd chosen channel, announcing
you are going to it (just "going to Channel 2", meaning the 2nd choice, NOT the
true Ch2, and don't announce the real Ch, so the public doesn't switch to listen
in).  Continue as necessary.  This would require a small piece of paper with the
channels listed, but anyone loaning out FRS should be able to print out small lists
to hand out.

5 - If your FRS uses rechargable batteries, work out with the loanees to get them
back each night for recharging.  If they use rechargable batteries but can also use
alkalines, use them instead.  Hand out your FRS with a fresh set of batteries.  The
loanee is responsible for returning it with a fresh set of batteries at the end of
use.

If the above is followed, I don't see any real problems, as long as the policy IS
followed.

Todd Thuma wrote:

* Some form of contact between the various venues (pavilion and
   hotel in this case) would be essential.  Talkabout two-way radios,
   HAM, or whatever - but some way to keep in touch is critical.  We
   ended up using cell phones, which were in some cases paying
   roaming charges, and dealing with low batteries.  That was a mess.

I have a couple family band radios an VHF radios that I would be happy to bring
next year to help out with this. I am certain we kind find others with the same
gear.