 Events / BricksWest / 373
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:55:38 GMT

I think I whined a little too much in my orignal post :-)  The point I was
trying to make is that people (and I was just using myself as an example -
but I suspect there are others) have jobs, families - lives - and can't
easily travel. Having BricksWest visit different cities in different years
seems like a cool idea to me. It would make it possible for more folks to
attend over time - which is a good thing, right?

Everyone seems to think that it HAS to be held in Carlsbad because that's
where the park is. Personally, I don't think the park is so great that I
need to make a pilgrimage every year. The attractions don't change that
often, and they're built for four-year-olds anyhow. You can have a great
fest without a park - just look at Brickfest. Folks from LD have to travel
from New York, so I suspect they'd be involved no matter where the fest was
held. Lego does some Mindstorms development in the Bay area - perhaps those
folks could get involved if we held it locally. We could have a get-together
at the park every two (or three or four years) and in the other years it
could be elsewhere.

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Tom Stangl writes:
The SF Bay Area is a ROTTEN place to consider having it, and I'm sure other people
in BayLUG would agree.  It would be vastly more expensive than holding it at LLC,
especially since they are looking at hosting it IN the park fulltime this time.

I live in Sunnyvale, I think I can accurately state how bad of an idea it would be
to hold it here ;-)

Very good point. I hadn't considered that, but I understand. I live in
Mountain View  :-)

Paul - if you need a ride or a share of a hotel room, ASK on the BayLUG list!  I'm
sure you would have no problem securing a ride and room.  I stayed alone in a room
last year, and would have no problem sharing a room to halve the costs (not that
Motel6 is THAT expensive, mind you ;-).  I can't offer a ride, as my car only has 2
seats, and my car was packed tight for the trip, but I'm sure you could easily
coordinate a ride for BW'03 through the BayLUG list with enough notice.

I would LOVE to roadtrip with my BayLUG friends, but can't. At the time of
last year's BricksWest, I had just started working after having been
unemployed for six months - I had neither time nor funds. This year, I'm
going to have a newborn baby, so I'm not going anywhere. It's always
something...

As for the NW, they are working on a BrickCon.

Which proves my point. There are enough people up there that can't/won't
travel to a fest that they felt they had to organize one - and which means
that some other folks who would have attended BricksWest now may not.

I'm not demanding that things be done my way :-) I just think moving the
fest around year-to-year is an interesting idea, and I'd like to at least
see it discussed.

- Paul

Paul Hanson wrote:

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes:

For those that did not attend last year, but wanted to or did not know about it
but might consider it for next year, what would you like to see happen at the
BricksWest convention? Where would you like it held. How long would you like it
to take place.

I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread, but I think it's an important
issue -

I did not attend BricksWest last year - mainly because it was held in
southern CA. I live in the SF Bay area, and traveling down there would have
required a considerable investment in time and $$. For the same reasons, I
won't attend BF'03 if it's held in the same place.

I know it makes a lot of sense to hold it down there - that's where the park
is, there's a healthy population of AFOL's there, and that's where the
organizers live (I think). Still, those of us who live in other areas might
like to see it move closer to us. Are other locations (the Bay area or the
Northwest, for example) even being considered?

- Paul