 Events / BricksWest / 349
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:45:21 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes:

It is common that the
head of an event becomes the assistant or the "past president" of the
organization the next year. This is so that one person is never stuck with the
job.

Agreed. Another variation is that this years vice chairman is next years
chair. I have also seen combinations of both where you have a chair (who was
last years vice chair), a vice chair (next year's chair) and a chair
emeritus (las year's chair)... this really gets things done. The vice chair
learns, the chair delivers and the chair emeritus advises how to get over
rough spots.

But to Todd's other point, delegation is your friend. I am saddened to hear
that Matt and Dan and other key organizers and workers never had time to
actually enjoy the fruits of their labors. Effective delegation to subheads
(with the subheads then ensuring they have enough of a 'crew' that no one is
on duty more than 30% of the time) ensures everyone can enjoy the event.

If it's a show for fans by fans, it seems fair or fitting that 20-40% of the
attendees actually have some job to do! It binds everyone together as
everyone had a hand in making it happen.