 Events / BricksWest / 364
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:20:41 GMT

Comments below...

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes:
<snip>

I have been afraid of this last statement.

lol! I was not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I am glad you did
not take it that way, whew! ;)

No, I didn't feel that way. I was simply afraid after re-reading my own posts
that it sounded that I was angling for that. I wasn't. The person in charge
takes on a huge headache when they agree to run it. That's why I think it is
imperative that the person in charge and a small team of others create a
corporation to isolate themselves from personal liability as much as possible.
Nothing will isolate you from out and out fraud (WorldCon, I mean WorldCom) but
if someone gets disgruntled they can't take your house.

Despite all the good feels that I and others have shared about this event last
year, not everyone feels that way, I am certain.

<snip>

I question though why you think Matthew should "automatically" (not your • word)
be in charge if he wants to be. Nothing, and I mean nothing, against Matthew
but this event called BricksWest is about the AFOLs and hopefully CFOLs. It
should be run by fans, as many fans as want to participate. It should be • headed
by one individual, true, but not necessarily the same individual from year to
year. Matthew should play a role in it this year and ever year he wants to be
involved. Anybody that wants to be involved should play a role,too.

Yes, I agree. But I think Matt should have the first chance to take it, or
turn it down simply because he has worked with the people before, and would
carryover a working knowledge of what to do (and more importantly, what not
to do). But by all means, he should have a team, committie or whatever there
to support him. Every team, committie or whatever needs a leader to actually
acomplish somehting and that is the role that I think Matt should play (as
long as he wants to). Now if LUGOLA or SCLTC get a more and deeper working
in it (they would be BW's version of Wamalug for example) then I am all for
it. You do not have ot sell me on this idea, as it is a good one - but a
head person is needed IMHO, whoever it is.

Again, I agree in part, but I think eventually Matthew will not want to take on
the hassle over and over again. Since he has yet to weigh in on his personal
observations and troubles that he had dealing with things last year, I will not
comment further. Until Matthew defines his role in BW03 then we can really only
speculate about his involvement.

We should have an opening ceremony where he is carried in on a chair made of
bricks wearing a crown of bricks and carrying a royal staff created of bricks
(any body interested in creating these).

LOL! That would be classic! But we would need some Duplo and LOTS of cameras!

While I joke about many things, I would be cool if we could seriously pull this
off.

For being the originator he should
always be held in high regard and special esteem, but should he always be in
charge? That is truely a question and is not rhetorical. I welcome anybody's
opinion on this as I have not answered the question myself satisfactorily • yet.

I think another reason for this is so we can have a person to have people
contact. I think saying 'Go talk to that person' is better than 'Go talk to
somebody in that group over there'. And having one person year after year
would provide stability unlike a revolving door (or in this case - seat).
And even if you had a group run it, the makeup of that group would (could?)
change lessening the stability of the group (IMHO). (and this also goes to
the snippage that was below)

Agreed, but until you have been the one person in the hot seat for everything
then you can't possible know how devestating people's whining and crying can be
both personally and professionally.

I have unfortunately had to step in at the last moment to make certain that a
convention for scientists would happen. I was handed everything to do about a
month before the conference from the professor that decided he was spending to
much time on the conference. I was a graduate student and really couldn't due
mush about it. I met with the hotel and their conference center people and
found that most of the arrangements had not been finalized. Over 800 people
attended the conference and I had to basically start from scratch. I was able
to assemble a team of grad students and we all took on various tasks. It made
running the convention a lot easier and I could send problems and complainers
to the appropriate person in charge. Fortunately, everyone had a good time, but
a lot of things got missed cause no one thought about it. (We had a blind
professor show up with a trained dog and had no accomodations for the dog.)
Anyway, it all worked out but it could have been disasterous.

Mark
http://www.landofbricks.com

The important point to all of this is get the planning out in the open so that
the very people that the event is being planned and held for want to come to
it. I know I can plan a conference that only 6 AFOL's would care to show up
for. What I would prefer to see is a conference that caters to 200 people and
their interests. I know this can be done.

Todd