 Events / BricksWest / 352
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:10:09 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes:

I really disagree about making this private. I have no problem with making this
a private discussion once the participants have weighed in and the core of
organizers has been determined. I want people to feel part of the whole
process. When they put forth an idea I want them to feel like they could run
with it. After all, that is what I did last year. I proposed the Animation
Festival idea and I feel like I muscled my way into orgainzing it. I felt
empowered by bringing the idea forward and I took ownership of it and carried
out the idea. (I just hope people enjoyed it). I hope others by being
publically encouraged to contribute ideas in a public forum might take
ownership and run with it as well. Being private will eliminate this and
prevent it entirely because we would have to include people inorder for their
ideas to be heard.

I feel that this is a group effort, so Todd is right on the mark here.

As for finances the only reason I can see for making those private is to hide
what's done with the money. Personally, the reason I am interested in these
things is becuase there is no "profit" in them. If I thought this was all >about
lining someone's pockets I would stop going immediately.>In my opinion money makes people crazy and I think the entire process from
start to finish should be open to everyone. When I fork over $75 to a group for
activities and events I should be handed a ledger explaining were every $0.001
cent went.

I maintain that both BrickFest and BricksWest are Adult Fan of Lego created
conventions that should be non-profit events with open books and geared soley
for the enjoyment and pleasure of the AFOL's that organize and attend them. In
this era of cooked corporate accounting books I fear I am taking the moral high
ground when I advocate that everyone be kept in the loop about the financials
of any event organized on their behalf, but that is my position. I hope this
offends no one, but I completely anticipate opposition and negative responses.
Simply put, people should be educated about how their "fee" was used to create
the value they receive.

Agreed!

-Seth