 Events / BricksWest / 348
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:02:12 GMT

Some friendly comments below...

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Matthew Gerber writes:
(Todd...thanks for starting the ball rolling on this. I was going to wait
until BF02 was over before starting discussions, so as to not steal any
thunder as it were, but since folks are responding, we may as well move
forward anyway. BTW, I did see the pics...thought I had mailed you back on
that...sorry if I didn't!)

No, you didn't! I haven't heard from you in so long I began to get worried. 8')

OK, well I'm seeing some good, some bad, some neutral here. That's to be
expected I suppose. Let me say thanks to the defenders, sorry to the
attackers, and this to the whole: There WILL be a BW03...make no mistake
about it.

YEAH!

Unfortunately, I'm extremely busy right now with a new business venture, a
magazine, the first issue of which goes to press tomorrow. What does that
mean to this discussion? That I really don't have time to start responding
to the previous messages one-by-one right now.

Busy as ever I see.

I'll offer this: I'm willing to begin talks on BW03 *AFTER* BF02 is over. If
you all want to continue brainstorming here or what have you, more power to • you.

However, any actual talk about planning and such should move to a private
environment ASAP...and before anyone gets bent out of shape over this move,
let me remind you that not only does private talk allow for less peripheral
noise (from folks with no vested interest in the event, hangers-on, wags,
people who won't attend but like to make their voices heard, etc.), but it
allows ideas to be bandied about with less chance of 1) disappointment that
an idea doesn't come to fruition (DVD idea), or 2) having fun secrets and
surprises revealed early, or 3) protects the interests of certain parties
who may want to keep certain items private (finances,
copyrightable/trademarkable/patentable ideas, contacts, etc.).

I really disagree about making this private. I have no problem with making this
a private discussion once the participants have weighed in and the core of
organizers has been determined. I want people to feel part of the whole
process. When they put forth an idea I want them to feel like they could run
with it. After all, that is what I did last year. I proposed the Animation
Festival idea and I feel like I muscled my way into orgainzing it. I felt
empowered by bringing the idea forward and I took ownership of it and carried
out the idea. (I just hope people enjoyed it). I hope others by being
publically encouraged to contribute ideas in a public forum might take
ownership and run with it as well. Being private will eliminate this and
prevent it entirely because we would have to include people inorder for their
ideas to be heard.

As for the disappointment about ideas, such is life. We probably could get
someone to take ownership and responsibility for an idea when the community is
made aware that an idea will not happen without support or leadership.

As for having fun and secrets all I can say is that comes much later in the
process and fun and secrets should be intended for the attendees and not the
organizers. Once the ideas are solicited and the group is formed, then the
discussion can move to a private forum.

As for copyright/trademark/patentable ideas, once those ideas are filed they
are public knowledge anyway. The patent office is placing every patent that
comes through their office on the Internet and trademark is searchable as well.
There is no protection placing these in a private mode of discussion. If I was
in that group and privey to the discussion and beat you to the patent office,
the patent would be mine, so there is no guarantee that private means
protection.

As for finances the only reason I can see for making those private is to hide
what's done with the money. Personally, the reason I am interested in these
things is becuase there is no "profit" in them. If I thought this was all about
lining someone's pockets I would stop going immediately. Case in point:
Celebration II in Indianapolis had 100,000 tickets sold online at $75 each.
That's 7.5 million dollars. Watch closely over the next couple months as the
lawsuits begin to fly. Several vendors were promised things that never
materialized and facilities haven't been paid yet. Now the organization that
put on the event claims only 50,000 tickets were sold online despite a number
ticket scheme on the tickets that reveal as many as 150,000 may have been sold.

In my opinion money makes people crazy and I think the entire process from
start to finish should be open to everyone. When I fork over $75 to a group for
activities and events I should be handed a ledger explaining were every $0.001
cent went.

I maintain that both BrickFest and BricksWest are Adult Fan of Lego created
conventions that should be non-profit events with open books and geared soley
for the enjoyment and pleasure of the AFOL's that organize and attend them. In
this era of cooked corporate accounting books I fear I am taking the moral high
ground when I advocate that everyone be kept in the loop about the financials
of any event organized on their behalf, but that is my position. I hope this
offends no one, but I completely anticipate opposition and negative responses.
Simply put, people should be educated about how their "fee" was used to create
the value they receive.

I'll try to post more over the weekend, and respond to the previous posts • then.

Thanks!

Matt

Respectfully,

Todd