 Events / BricksWest / 354
Re: A BricksWest Critique?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:06:23 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes:
<snip to save web trees>

Somewhat agree - see comments above ;) But is this an effort from you to be
the head person this year? If so lets put this on the table (but like Matt
said privately).

I have been afraid of this last statement. I really do not think I am in a
position geographically that would lead me to be able to lead this kind of an
effort. I live in Georgia and the event is going to happen somewhere on the
west coast. Geography I think is important for some of the reponsibility that
must be undertaken by some of the volunteers. It would be great if the Legoland
contact lived next door so that they could meet in person with those in charge
at the park. The communication is greatly facilitated by face to face.

I question though why you think Matthew should "automatically" (not your word)
be in charge if he wants to be. Nothing, and I mean nothing, against Matthew
but this event called BricksWest is about the AFOLs and hopefully CFOLs. It
should be run by fans, as many fans as want to participate. It should be headed
by one individual, true, but not necessarily the same individual from year to
year. Matthew should play a role in it this year and ever year he wants to be
involved. Anybody that wants to be involved should play a role,too.

We should have an opening ceremony where he is carried in on a chair made of
bricks wearing a crown of bricks and carrying a royal staff created of bricks
(any body interested in creating these). For being the originator he should
always be held in high regard and special esteem, but should he always be in
charge? That is truely a question and is not rhetorical. I welcome anybody's
opinion on this as I have not answered the question myself satisfactorily yet.

Ultimately, I don't think I am the best person for the job. The leader must be
diligent, have the kind of personal time it requires to keep after those with
delegated tasks, and work hard and sacrifice for the community.

You also forget that we don't know what bridges Matthew might have burned last
year. I am not saying he pissed anyone off, but maybe some of the same
individuals that Matthew dealt with last year might not want to deal with him
again. Maybe things didn't get resolved to their satisfaction. The point is I
don't know and neither does anyone else. Matthew took so much on his sholders
and shared so little publically we don't even know if the hotel we used last
year will even welcome us back.

That's another reason for incorporating with a few individuals responsible for
the "company". It might be easier to enter into contracts and reach the right
people if there are established practices and committees of organization. In my
experience companies are less likely to deal with one individual than a team of
individuals formed under one company and working towards establishing a
organization with leverage and longevity. Typically an established entity can
weather the storm of a single high profile individual screwing up (not that
anyone has).

Companies know how to approach an entity that has levels of organization. They
look to the contact point, which should either be the leader or the person with
the designated office or repsponsibility. A company is less likely to work with
a sole individual. Ask Lego Direct who they are dealing with over at BrickFest
and I guarantee aside from a couple individuals one answer you will get is
Wamalug, an established entity that has been around a while. For them their is
stability in knowing an organization is behind the few individuals that they
are dealing with. Make no mistake, a company doesn't want to deal with 20 or 30
people. They want to deal with the person in charge or the appointed contact,
but they want the security of a group of individuals.

My point is simple. BricksWest is an entity that lives beyond one person and
should be inclusive of the whole community. Establishing it as a seperate
entity will enable it to grow and expand and become what I think a lot of us
want: an annual gathering of friends and fanatics that makes us all richer in
spirit and mind. If we can do this under Matthew great! I am all for it. I
simply want to make certain Matthew is isolated from personal and financial
ruin in the process.

Don't forget that there are others in attendance at BricksWest that advocated
for other ideas and venues for BricksWest. Some advocated a cloaser
relationship with the park and LEGO. There was talk a couple months back for
the LEGO train clubs to join forces and go to the big national train show with
some support from LEGO. While that never materialized, there was talk that
BricksWest help pull off a mini-Kid-Vention thing at the Park. This might
garner some support from LEGO in the form of meals and lodging or maybe just
some brick. Its a win win situation for both sides and would enable more fans
to attend by lowering the costs.

Allowing the discussion to be open though enables these kinds of ideas coming
to the fore front. I hope the idea is not to create a "club" of organizers that
will dictate what the conventions will look like and involve. There doesn't
seem like much fun or point to doing that.

Respectfully,

Todd
Todd