 Events / BricksWest / 314
  A BricksWest Critique?

BricksWest Attendees, On the eve of the BrickFest 2002 gathering, I would like to have input from those that attended BricksWest 2002 gathering their opinions and critique of the event in the hopes that additions and changes and ideas can be taken (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Thanks to Todd for setting this up so that we can assure that next year will be the best BricksWest ever [well, at least better than this year anyways :)] Although I have some very strong feelings about how the event was run, I'll stick to my basic (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Todd, My one concern was the hotel price--it seemed a little high, even though the location was good. I was saving for a house at the time and couldn't afford the hotel, because I'd be coming from the east coast and needed 1-2 extra days. If I can (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

As a volunteer BricksWest organizer who worked closely with Matt on the event, I feel compelled to answer this post. (...) And these things were outside of the organizers' control. Blaming Matt for what happened is not fair in the least. Thanks to (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  re: committee

(...) the standard business practise for these sorts of things is to open the issue to input from the community until a certain deadline is reached. the input is assessed and someone or a few someones (a team) is delegated to handle the event. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I completely agree with you, Tim. For a first-time event, being run 'on a shoestring', I thought it was a great time, and I'm looking forward to next year! The fact that the park dropped the ball on a few things should not be reflected back at (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Sounds good. (...) First of all, I want to say that it was a big success, despite all the adversity that Matthew had to deal with... TLC really dropped the ball with regards to the luau and things of that nature, and I hope that they do better (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) More involvement from the community does not mean making decisions by committee. While I disagree with most of what Seth has said about Matthew's performance, I do agree with one thing: there was very little communication and collaboration and (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

WOW Nelly! Before this gets off on a "flame", I want everyone to be clear about the intentions of this thread. First, I want people to post their observations and critiques about the event for those that attended. Seth did attend on Sunday (clearly (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: committee

(...) Paul, Great suggestion! I submit to the community that this is the call for input from the entire community. I suggest a date of September 1, 2002 as the end for community input. At that point those interested in planning an event or being (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Does anyone know what is involved in setting up a not-for-profit or non-profit entity that can oversee the planning of BricksWest 2003 and can sign contracts with hotels and LEGO Company? I can do some investigation of this, but I want to know (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

One suggestion I have for next year is that I would like to have some "alone" time in the park just for BricksWest attendees. This can be done in the form of a dinner or heavy ordeuvers (whatever!) near mini-land and maybe some cocktails (mocktails (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Everybody- Please note that I never attacked him nor even mentioned his name is my post! I was merely saying that things didn't go to plan. I did not blame any specific person in my post. I'm slightly surprised that everyone is getting so (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Seth Rotkin wrote in (URL)2. I hope that the event is run by a different person, and preferably by a (...) Had you not included the above statement, it may not have read as an attack by myself and others who attended. You need not mention a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Officially breaking silence: I wanna go! Last Brickwest, I was in the area (Carlsbad) but unable to get to it. I even had my lates MOC in the trunk of my car just in case!!! Are we making out a list of who is going, who lives in the area or (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Are you any good with cranberry sauce after a six day slow cook? -- Hop-Frog (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Actually, I need to simmer 5 days after a roasting :) I've never been patient enough to wait 6 days, I just take a big bite off after 5 and that's it. You can, of course, add liberal amounts of cranberry sauce as it does not sting much. It's (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Wow, not sure exactly what post to reply to, there is alot of good points in this thread. But I will reply to this one but still touch upon everything. First off I want to say that Matt did an AMAZING job, there were alot of people trying to dictate (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(Todd...thanks for starting the ball rolling on this. I was going to wait until BF02 was over before starting discussions, so as to not steal any thunder as it were, but since folks are responding, we may as well move forward anyway. BTW, I did see (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) ?? Did I miss BW 02 ? I thought last year was BW 01? (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) BW (20)03. JAmes (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I think he means BW 2003, not BW (version/event 3). Just My Opinion, though Ben. (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Thanks. An apostrophe was omitted, then. Correct usage for date oriented appelations is either BW 2003 or BW '03 but not BW 03... as to do that engenders confusion :-) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Thank you for so aptly proving an earlier point about public discussion. 8?| Matt (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

I think the feelings that most of those that went to BricksWest 2003 have about the Luau and the Hawaiian Shirts were that these were the two big selling points to buy the full package as compared to individual day passes to BricksWest '03. When we (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

I didn't want to list a bunch of criticisms of what I thought was an awesome inaugural event. I can't say enough how much I appreciate and applaud all of Matt's hard work. With that in mind however I do have a couple of suggestions that might make (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) The first BricksWest was BricksWest 2002, which would be appreviated BW02 or BW '02. Since this is number one it might be appreviated 01BW02 or #1 BW02 or BW '02 1. The second BricksWest will be BW '03 or #2 BW 03 or BW03 2. I guess the easy (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) What point was that? If this was sarcasm, it was lost on me, I am afraid. My sole goal is clarity. (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I think Matt's point was that he felt that private discussion was best for the planning and organizing....he felt that individuals like you, me, and others (James Brown) are pretty well non participants that wouldn't help the cause.... you may (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

"William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message (...) I assume you haven't forgot us down South. But, the possibility of two LTCs at BW'03 does sound rather enticing. Each would have to take close note of floor space usage, etc. Details, (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) There are always people willing to sholder responsibility and step up. They need to be encouraged and led so that they finish the tasks they take on. Matthew did a great job but took to much on himself. There were plenty of people like Dan, (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Some friendly comments below... (...) No, you didn't! I haven't heard from you in so long I began to get worried. 8') (...) YEAH! (...) Busy as ever I see. (...) you. (...) I really disagree about making this private. I have no problem with making (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Agreed. Another variation is that this years vice chairman is next years chair. I have also seen combinations of both where you have a chair (who was last years vice chair), a vice chair (next year's chair) and a chair emeritus (las year's (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Some friendly comments below... (...) I think this is a great idea. Most organizations with conventions have a "past president" postion or the "president" has a assitant that becomes the "president" the next year, essentially learning the ropes (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Larry, Well stated! And I agree completely. Todd (...) the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I feel that this is a group effort, so Todd is right on the mark here. (...) Agreed! -Seth (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes: <snip to save web trees> (...) Yes, I agree 100%. It was mentioned elsewhere that there be actuall and factual "employees" (read -> volunteers). It would be nice to have someboy man the reg. table for (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I have been afraid of this last statement. I really do not think I am in a position geographically that would lead me to be able to lead this kind of an effort. I live in Georgia and the event is going to happen somewhere on the west coast. (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread, but I think it's an important issue - I did not attend BricksWest last year - mainly because it was held in southern CA. I live in the SF Bay area, and traveling down there would have required a (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) What about those of us who traveled half-way across the country to visit BricksWest? Care to guess how much time and $$ it cost us? *Several* people from the Bay Area drove down to Carlsbad. How about setting up a car pool for next year? No (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I bring it up only because when Matt was originally soliciting ideas for the first BricksWest, he asked people where they thought it should be held. Why should this year be any different? My thinking was that if it were held in a different (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes: <snip> (...) lol! I was not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I am glad you did not take it that way, whew! ;) <snip> (...) Yes, I agree. But I think Matt should have the first chance to take (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

I'm certainly in favor of keeping the BW in LLCA. Alright, the fact I happen to live 40 minutes from the park does show bias on my part. But more important is what the people who own the park think. If BW were held in the Northwest (for example), do (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Sorry, I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. But I was under the impression that the "anchor display" at BW would rotate among the west coast LTC's, and that it was "our turn" this year. I'm sure there's plenty of room if SCLTC wants to do (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) That's a shame. It'll be a lot of fun. I too live in the SF bay area, and was able to attend BW last year very cheaply. I carpooled with another member of our club, and we stayed in a campground (which was not without its share of hassles, but (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Ok, some thoughts of mine after reading a bunch of posts... Definitely examine other hotels in the area. A cheaper hotel will open the event to a lot more people. While the idea of having the event at Legoland sounds attractive, I really feel (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I must admit, not yet being a full throttle train fanatic I must have missed something at BW02. Why does it have to be one club organizing the train stuff at BW03. Wouldn't it be great if we could get 4 or 5 clubs together and fill a whol tent (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Comments below... (...) No, I didn't feel that way. I was simply afraid after re-reading my own posts that it sounded that I was angling for that. I wasn't. The person in charge takes on a huge headache when they agree to run it. That's why I think (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I absolutely agree that the train layout should be more than one club. The tent probably isn't big enough to set a world record for length of track though (PNLTC set a record a couple years ago in a much bigger space). It might be possible to (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Frank, To set the record straight The PNLTC was not at the BW03. Dan Parker from the PNLTC ran the pavillion but the large layout was done by SCLTC. Paul SCLTC (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Frank, So that we are all on the same page about which layout you are referring to, the Southern California Lego Train Club (SCLTC) had the huge train display up in the Pavilion during BricksWest 2002. The Pavilion also had on display a variety of (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) I guess I should have been a little more clear. I was referring to the Club Weekend which was "last year". I guess I don't quite consider BricksWest '02 "last year" yet, it happened this year, although it is now the "last" (as in previous) (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Note, I knew that a replacement deal was in effect, and I luckily brought 6 gallon bags with me to dump in. I took out less than 1/2 gal bag, dumped all 6 in, but most of the 6 was gone a few hours later. I don't think the K8s retained their volume, (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Getting enough FRS radios should NOT be a problem. They are dirt cheap and very common these days. I own 4 myself so far (for car club outings), and I'll probably own more by next Feb. Bringing them all for use is not a problem. HOWEVER, the problem (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

The SF Bay Area is a ROTTEN place to consider having it, and I'm sure other people in BayLUG would agree. It would be vastly more expensive than holding it at LLC, especially since they are looking at hosting it IN the park fulltime this time. I (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

I think I whined a little too much in my orignal post :-) The point I was trying to make is that people (and I was just using myself as an example - but I suspect there are others) have jobs, families - lives - and can't easily travel. Having (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

You raise some interesting points about events. Here are some counter points to consider: - I don't think the market is yet saturated on brick cons. - Conventions which move from location to location each year have to contend with some negatives of (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.events)

  RE: A BricksWest Critique?

Hello, I was wondering if anything has come out of this conversation. Is there an organization group for 2003 version of Brick West?? Is Matthew going to run it? (Fine with me) I remember Matthew saying he was going to write something back late in (...) (22 years ago, 31-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

(...) Hi Bill - I'm speaking quasi-officially as one of the BricksWest organizers for last year and for this year. I have been in discussions with Matt recently about BricksWest 2003, and we are working on getting some news out, and starting a round (...) (22 years ago, 31-Aug-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)

  Re: A BricksWest Critique?

Hi Frank, Todd, and everyoe, Generally in complete agreement. If Baylug/Bayltc it to have a significant presence at BricksWest 2003, there has been some discussion of having Lego/Legoland help with shipping modules, etc. While small, the BayLTC (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.events.brickswest)