 Dear LEGO / 3418
3417  |  3419
Subject:
I can't tolerate this *juniorization* Either
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 05:49:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Dan Simonson writes:
Ok, this is going to be a long message.

My name is Jonathan Mckay, I am also 13, with many of the same gripes.

(in my opinion way over priced for *bulk*)
Bulk=3033 1200 piece brick bucket. When you buy these wholesale from lego
they are 12.99 for 1 brick bucket. That's roughly 1 cent per brick. Buying
the same bricks in the "bulk" elemnt packs at $0.10-$0.30 is not a resonable
price. It is just another recent rip-off lego seems to be trying to pull on
its now dwindling consumers.

>duplo set, and was immediately angry. The buildings have nothing to them!

I can hardly call Jack stone Lego, for the possibilities of creating new
models other than the designated one are about equal to taking apart a $1
toy that was made in china and then trying to make something else
interesting out of it- just will not happen. As for the mania magazine, I
stopped subscribing after I realized that the feature models were not
selected on quality of the model. (which was about 5 years ago)

I'm now reading the catalog, I'm going to bash everthing juniorized as I go
along.

Page 1, *Bionicle.* When I first saw Bionicle I thought it was aimed at the
Japanese market than anything else. It reminds me of the edited Dragon Ball
Z, a show so watered down and milked up that it's no wonder I don't like it
any more. One fight between two characters lasted 3-4 weeks.

I don't really consider this lego either. Like Jack stone, the possibilities
are not endless. Have you tried building something out of 2 bionicles and no
other lego? This seemes to be the lego "action figures"

Page 5, DIONSAURS. The last time I had any interest in Dinosaurs was when I
was in Kindergarden. I see where it comes in with Jurasic Park III and the
Lego Studios but do you have to release and waste all that petrolium (yes,
it's a non-renewable resource) on a hole bunch of dinosaurs we really don't
even need. And at $10 a piece, what 5 year old can even afford to waste $40
on them.
I don't see the purpose of dinosaurs. It reminds me again of a $1 "made in
china" toy.

Pages 8-9, Great mechs, but the ship and the base make me laugh. What kind
of base is that! It looks like an Aquanaut base I made once that was made of
little gobs of bricks that are separated and serve no purpose but to to look
cool. $80 for that junk! I wouldn't pay $50.

The new LOM sets seem to be created not for any alternate models whatsoever.
Looking at the parts on the aero tube hanger, I am discusted. Rather than
using interesting or high quality parts, TLG has made interesting new colors
with little or no use because of the fact that they are only availible in 4
or 5 different parts.

Page 22-23, Duplo, where Juniorization should stay.

Most Definitely

Ok, I remember not long ago Lego sent out this little yellow thing with
their s@h
orders about their mission statement or something like that. It said that
Lego is a creative toy, becuase one day, it can be a submarine, the next it
can be castle, and the next it can be a spaceship. Many of the things I have
seen in the last catalog have made that mission statement worthless and
obselete.

*chuckle* Have you noticed that they don't send that out any more????????

This is Lego's true purpose...
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego/mecha/colossus/colossus01.html

Well stated.

Some other experiences with junorizeation:

In the past couple of years, I have found myself wanting to look at the
older S@H catalouges instead of the new ones because of the better quality
sets. I'll look at M:Tron and say, "that is something I would buy". My
orders from S@H have decreased dramatically due to the fact that there has
been nothing good out in the last year. This is what has happened to Lego
products:

The Space line is DEAD (LOM is more "space port" IMO, and starwars has taken
the main part of the scifi lego)

The Pirate Line is DEAD (No new kits for many years now)

The Castle Line is DEAD (Where was the continuation of the Knights' Kingdom?)

The Town Line is Dying (5 total kits in the summer S@H)

The Technic Line is Dying (2 kits that are not from some other "subtheme" in
the summer S@H)

All to make room for junorization.

One last thing I would like to mention:

TLG is deaf. They do not LISTEN NOR CARE about Lego Collectors and their
suggestions/complaints/ideas.

My experiences at least

Jonathan McKay