 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3236
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:02:23 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:

Another line which seems to be doing just fine is the dinosaurs. In the
past few days, none of the stores I've been to have had very many on the
shelves. The smaller dinosaurs are interesting in my mind. There really
haven't been sets in the past which focused on building creatures mostly
out of bricks. I'd say this is a _good_ thing. Showing kids that wow!
You can build animals from bricks.

Frank.... you must have gotten a different catalog than I did.  I'm looking
at the dinosaurs now and what I see are dinosaurs made out of LEGO pieces
that are shaped to look like dinosaur parts.  Not really LEGO "bricks" as
such, but rather highly specialized pieces which are intended to be used to
make something that looks (very much) like a dinosaur.

Of course, if the kids get bored with the set, they can always take the
pieces apart and make.... well... other dinosaurs.

I agree with you, that animals *can* be made out of bricks.  But I disagree
that what are included in those sets are really LEGO bricks.  It can be
done... and it can be done with standard bricks.  I just can't figure out
why they don't work harder at producing sets/models using bricks that can be
more easily used in other creations.

Just my whining and complaining again, but I find those dinosaurs to be a
symptom of what's wrong, rather than what's right these days.

Regards,
Allan B.

What Frank is talking about are the smaller Dinosaurs sets-

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7000
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7001
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7002
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7003

Those mostly have bricks with a few dino specific pieces thrown in (like the
neck, head and tail).

Hope that helps,
~Nathan