 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3103
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:24:20 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Victor Knight writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, John Neal writes:
.

Times have changed.  LEGO has competition from places we never dreamed about 20
years ago-- the internet, video games, cable television, etc.  Now the
philosophy of TLC has been one of marketing at particular age groups
("System")-- so infants start off with Primo, then toddlers on to Duplo, and

What are you talking about? This argument just doesn't hold water. Video
games and cable tv were around and popular 20 years ago (especially video
games). Not to mention the fact that lego's greatest releases were early/mid
80s - early 90s.

Maybe you meant 30 years ago or aren't living in America.

Video games were popular during the 80s, but not to the level they are now.
Todays video games are more realistic are more exciting than they were in
the 80s.  More people own PCs today which means more computer games.  It
also means that when kids get bored they have more places to turn than to
their Legos.  Yes I live in America and I can remember the early 80s.

I remember getting cable and saying 60 channels and nothing on.
I remember the segas, ataris, and nintendos and laughing at the poor
graphics.  I also remember the sore joints from the bad controls.
I don't remember the internet, because it wasn't there until the 90s.
I also remember the silly PC games.

They wasn't much to do in the 80s other than sports and Legos.  At least not
for a 10 year old.

TLG just isn't doing the promotion they used to, except for junk like Bionicle.

so
on.  But they recognized that there was a gap between Duplo and town.  Town was
a little complicated for 6 year olds, and so they decided to bridge that gap
with sets which could be more easily manipulated with smaller hands.  Try not to
think of Jack Stone, etc, as LEGO "juniorized"[1], but rather as Duplo
"seniorized":-)

Sure, but let's keep regular town, too..

I definitely agree with this line.  If Jack Stone is supposed to be a
stepping stone then where is the next step?  We don't have any real themes
left, just some odd sets.  Bring back Town.  Bring back realistic sets.