 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3120
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:49:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
Jonathan Dallas wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Victor Knight writes:

The solution to TLG's woes isn't Bionicle or juniorization, I think the
solution is lowering prices, which we all know could be done.

Bionicle has some interesting features to it that could make it popular with
a different crowd.  I won't say anything against it till it has had a chance.

From what I see, Bionicle is doing great. Whoever is buying it (kids who
would never have otherwise played with LEGO, or kids already captivated
by LEGO, but looking for something more than building yet another fire
station), it has a positive effect. Kids are buying LEGO and building
and playing. Sure, the play style is different from how most of us
played as kids, but then when I was a kid, mecha weren't really on the
horizon yet (and a mecha built with the pieces I had as a kid would be a
sorry sight).

My son, who was building Red Beard Runners at 6 or 7, likes the Bionicles.
Not really much as a building experience, but they seem to capture his
imagination.  He really enjoyed putting together the Guarded Inn and thought
it an excellent set, but he's spending a fair amount of time playing with
the Bionicles - a Lego version of an action figure?  Dunno.  But I often
find them set up as "stair guards" or lurking in ambush spots.

As to the collectable magic/pokemon aspect - I ain't playing that game again
(though I shouldn't complain since I got in on Magic on Day 1 and made tens
of thousands of dollars off it).  I note all the masks are sold out
everywhere but boy are they available on eBay.  Nyahh!

Bruce