 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3132
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:18:04 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Victor Knight writes:

Video games were as popular or more popular in the late 70s - early 90s as
they are now. The only difference that amounts to anything is that computer
games can do alot more now (the kinds of computer games that appeal to the
same market segment of kids as Lego does (althoguh those computer games also
appeal to the same type of teens and adults) ).

It comes down to an economic thing:  Do i build a metropolis with Sim City
2000 for $10 or  a city with lego for several thousand?
Do I simulate kingdom building and castle warfare with Age of Kings/Heroes
of Might and Magic III/Lords of the Realm II for $50 or so, or do I build
and simulate kingdom building and castle warfare with lego for several thousand?

The solution to TLG's woes isn't Bionicle or juniorization, I think the
solution is lowering prices, which we all know could be done.

How do think TLC can do this? Make a Castle Kingdom for $50.00? Impossible.
Kids buy lego because of its ability to create, and parents buy Lego because
of its educational value. Lego was always an expensive toy, not just now. So
if the price is the problem, why did Lego just begin the post losses in the
last three years? I can most certainly understand TLC's concern about its
future and therefore I can see why they think they should change their
direction. And, it may be working. Try to fing a Bionicle mask pack, or a
Rahi set at your local TRU, they cannot be found easily. So, if Bionicle is
wildly successful why should TLC revert back to their old style?

Rich
http://www.brickfan.bigstep.com