 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3122
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:52:41 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:

Anyways - LD offerings are definitely an encouraging part of the LEGO
product line right now.  We need to see more things like the Sopwith - stuff
that competes directly with those cool things like the MegaBloks motorcycle,
which have to be appealing to kids who want a challenging build.  That's
probably where LEGO loses its kids as they're growing.

I want to cry every time I see kids in the Lego aisle oohing and ahhing over the
Megabloks.  On well more than one occasion I've seen kids in the store ignore
Lego the way I ignore Megabloks because they recognize that though Megabloks may
be of inferior production quality, the models strive for real-world accuracy and
are far less expensive than Lego.  I really believe that the greater cost that
is inherent to the superior Lego product can essentially become a non-factor in
determining kid's buying preferences when Lego gets back to attractive set
design.  Some of the current price points, relative to product value (City
Center sets, for example) are frankly insulting.  I believe that it offends
people when these slipshod & slapdash products are marked up to ludicrous
prices.  Megabloks gives kids what they want.  Its time for Lego to do the same.
Lego obviously has its market study groups, blah, blah, blah, but everything
that I've witnessed in stores has been absolutely anti-juniorization sentiment
from kids approx. 8 and older.