 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3148
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:06:52 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Rich Manzo writes:
How do [you] think TLC can do this? Make a Castle Kingdom for $50.00? Impossible.

Gee, I am no math wiz, but here goes:

#3450  Statue of Liberty 2800 pcs. @ $199 USD = $0.07 USD an element
#3451  Sopwith Camel 577 pcs. @ $49.99 USD = $0.09 USD an element
#3724  Lego Dragon 1530 pcs. @ $99 USD = $0.06 USD an element
#7127  Imperial AT-ST 107 pcs. @ $9.99 USD = $0.09 USD an element
#7144  Slave 1 165 pcs. @ $19.99 USD = $0.12 USD an element
#7126  Battle Droid Carrier 133 pcs. @ $9.99 USD = $0.07 USD an element
#8008  Stormtrooper 361 pcs. @ $34.99 USD = $0.09 USD an element
#6776  Ogel Control Center 410 pcs. @ $49.99 USD = $0.12 USD an element
#10000 Guarded Inn 246 pcs. @ $24.99 USD = $0.10 USD an element

This is a random sample of sets available in the current catalogue at a
decent price. Yes, there are sets costing more -- and yes, I would tend NOT
to buy them at their current price point.  My point was to show that there
are a lot of sets in the $0.10 per element range that some of us find at
least tolerable -- certainly bulk bricks should be packaged in larger
quantities of bricks at a greater savings, but let's leave that to the side
for now. Can everyone agree that TLC can make sets costing an average of
$0.10 USD an element (the actual average of the above was $0.09!)?  Good.

So for my $50 USD I might expect to get around 500-600 elements for my hard
earned cash. Let's see what I can score for these prices from the back
catalogue of stuff that TLC doesn't have to do much fuss over to rerelease
(no talk of making molds, please -- I think that matter is well settled!).
Here we go:

#6040 Blacksmith Shop 89 pcs.
#6041 Armor Shop 109 pcs.
#6059 Knight's Stronghold 221 pcs.
#6060 Knight's Challenge 160 pcs.

Total elements for the above is 579. With this Ultra-Castle Package I get a
small castle thingy, some seige equipment, a tournament field, a blacksmith,
and his armour storefront!  That wouldn't suck at all!

How about I swap out the #6059 and the 6041 for the #6077 Forestmen's River
Fortress 348 pcs.? This would give me an element total of 597.  And this
Ultra-Castle Package contains a full-sized camouflaged style castle, a
tournament field, and a blacksmith shop. A great bargain!

Impossible! Can't be done?! It CAN, and SHOULD BE DONE!!!

An interesting contrast is the 6091 King Leo's Castle 524 pcs. for between
$90-100 USD retail.  Gee, I wonder why I still see so many of these on the
shelves? Could it be that it's actual valuation by the paying public is more
in the $50 USD range? Even that price would be too much for all those jr.
elements to my mind...

-- Hop-Frog (don't shoot me, I'm the only Lego Curmudgeon you have!)