 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3155
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Rich Manzo writes:
How do think TLC can do this? Make a Castle Kingdom for $50.00? Impossible.
Kids buy lego because of its ability to create, and parents buy Lego because
of its educational value. Lego was always an expensive toy, not just now. So
if the price is the problem, why did Lego just begin the post losses in the
last three years? I can most certainly understand TLC's concern about its
future and therefore I can see why they think they should change their
direction. And, it may be working. Try to fing a Bionicle mask pack, or a
Rahi set at your local TRU, they cannot be found easily. So, if Bionicle is
wildly successful why should TLC revert back to their old style?

I think that Lego have got themselves into a viscious circle. For some
reason they realeased Juniorised sets, these sets didn't sell as well as
they hoped. So to make up for losses they've diluted their product range and
created these sets that they think will appeal to the market. Unfortunately
these sets probably don't appeal to the market.

If kids/parents want quick action toys they wont buy Lego, they'll go and
buy action Hero X or whatever product meets this criteria.

Lego have put themselves into an awkward position now, They no longer make
the old style "Lego" sets that everyone knows about, and they're no good at
making the new fad toys (as recent losses have shown).

As losses increase, they'll continue to release crappy sets that they hope
will appeal to children, then release more to make up fo rthe losses they
just made from the initial release. They need to stop and look at themselves
rather then the market I think. Lego has the name thats known for quality
toys, it doesnt need to work on this aspect.

Santosh
Who's decided to abruptly end his ranting and raving.