 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3115
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:58:30 GMT

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message news:3B730E52.5BDDA2BD@uswest.net...
Okay, Joe (and Dan)- • to blame as well.

But here's my point.  Don't get so worked up about "juniorization".  The fact
is, there has never been a better time for LEGO builders old and young than
right now today, and it will keep getting better.  Take a look out there--
LUGNET, LUGs, LTCs, Brickbay, Brickshelf, bulk services-- what fantastic
resources!  You guys are getting older now; don't worry about building sets.
Sets are for kids.  As Mike Timm so eloquently puts it in his sig: "All other
themes are just spare parts for Castle!" (or spare parts for *anything* you
want). Start building MOCs and let the *real* creativity begin!

But isnt that the point of the original message?
How do you get creative and build MOCs with Juniorized parts.
You would have to be very creative indeed to build Castles from Jack Stone.
(well I could create what is a castle in my mind perhaps, but it might not look like one to anyone else!)

So this is about where TLC is coming from.  You may not agree with their
marketing strategies, and even I strongly disagree with some of their
strategies, but try to understand why they are doing what they are doing.
Rather than rail on in an NG, tell them with your pocketbook.  Buy the Guarded
Inns and Sopwith Camels and Metroliners; if there is one thing TLC gets very
well, it's the bottom line.  Let's *show* TLC that there is a market for
non-juniorized sets.

But aren't we AFOL supposed to be a small part of the market?
And only via s@h.
So how are we going to make an impact?

But more importantly, the above still doesnt satisfy me
1. still a VERY limited selection of bulk bricks
2. reintroducing old sets which I already have. I don't want more Metroliners or Guarded inns - I just want certain
parts. I dont want to have to buy a whole set to get one brick.

I know I am not supposed to be part of Lego's targetted market, but I am getting very tired of Lego now.

I have been collecting this stuff for over 40 years - yes 40 years.
And I have never been so disappointed with whats on offer.
I used to look forward to that new catalogue.
Now I just read it and weap.

What is more worrying is that if they think the new stuff is supposed to appeal to kids of today, they are very much
mistaken in my experience.
My kids (11-13) have very little interest. If it wasnt for my activities, it would be none, zero, zip.
And do I care? Do I worry that some how my kids are 'missing out' on the creativity of Lego. Not one bit.

rant over

regards
lawrence