 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3113
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 06:30:12 GMT

It seems every time this subject comes up, lots of people have stories and
opinions on how Lego should run things, and I'm no different.  :)
I was in a store the other day and I overheard a boy who was about 4 asking
his mom for the Lego NASCAR (actually he said Nashcar).  I didn't bother to
mention that Lego didn't make the NASCAR sets.  Do you hear that Lego
direct?  A kid who wanted some to (gasp!) build!  He didn't ask for Jack
Stone, Creator, Lego Racers or Lego dinosaurs.  Something he could build,
something with pieces, something cool like NASCAR, not race cars that have 8
pieces and have 'monsters' that drive them.

I hate to even think of bashing Lego, Lego is great, but the Lego that we
all had here as a kid.  I mostly try to defend Lego, but that seems to be
gettting harder.  I hardly even look at Lego in stores these days, as I
don't like anything that I see, except for maybe Bionicle which is cool, I
like them and have a few, but they are not the be all and end all.  They
won't save the Lego company any way.  Neither are their bulk packs from S@H.
The Classic line and the Legends line is really cool, and I'm impatiently
waiting for 10001 and 10002, but I have nothing to satisfy my Lego craving
till then.

I type suggestions and thoughts and ranting until my fingers fall off, but
it won't do any good it seems.  Lego is certain that kids want juniorized
sets, and have no attention span, but I have seen kids that want Lego with
parts to build with.  I don't know what kind of marketing research Lego
does, but from what I've seen, and accounts from other people that I've read
here seems to be the opposite of what Lego is doing.

Oh well, what do I know, I'm just a long time Lego customer.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Petrucelli writes:

While Lego may be gearing their merchandise to kids they must understand that,
more often than not, the Adult chooses and pays for the stuff.

My favorite Adult line heard in a store is "Where's the castle stuff, you
know, the kind that came with the princesses." This was said to me in TRU
during the Fright Knights era. Come to think of it, I never had any sets
with princesses at any time. At least now you can get the Guarded Inn.