 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3105
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:04:36 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Victor Knight writes:

The solution to TLG's woes isn't Bionicle or juniorization, I think the
solution is lowering prices, which we all know could be done.

While I agree to an extent - I'll semi-defend LEGO here.  AFOLs don't have
all the facts in front of them (as an employee or two have pointed out to me
a couple times when I've mentioned price).  There are factors like cost of
the plastic (tied to the oil industry), cost of pigment for plastic
(different color bricks cost different amounts), and the fact that LEGO's
been in the red for the last two or three years.

Though there is a point in saying, 'Jack Stone may be the first step,
where's the next?  Where's the more advanced Town?'  There is none right now
- Town builders have to go to other lines to buy pieces to build towns with.
And pieces for towns don't come as readily now as they did back in the day.
I can't remember the last time I saw a car door, and after killing
headlights on cars the headlight bricks aren't as common either.  And then
there's garage doors - an essential part of building a realistic town, out
of production and incredibly rare (boy am I glad I snagged 4 copies of the
service pack recently - thanks LFB!)

LEGO needs to improve town for older kids and AFOLs.  Especially since LTCs
are growing more popular - they need good parts availability for layouts,
and the people getting back into LEGO because of an LTC need to see good
stuff to build with themselves.

Plus - what about providing sets that are stimulating enough to inspire an
older group of kids to become the AFOLs of tomorrow?  Jack Stone won't give
that to them.

Anyways - LD offerings are definitely an encouraging part of the LEGO
product line right now.  We need to see more things like the Sopwith - stuff
that competes directly with those cool things like the MegaBloks motorcycle,
which have to be appealing to kids who want a challenging build.  That's
probably where LEGO loses its kids as they're growing.

(not to negate the video game generation, though...)

-Tim (put out a gray/dk gray/tan 1200pc tub!) Courtney