 Dear LEGO / 3419
Re: ??? New Theme Proposal ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:01:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kenneth Wright writes:
I think this idea is wonderful and has definite potential for an official
set.  When I bought the LEGO Mini Figure Sculpture (Set #3723), I was
floored by the instructions for the hat, which minus the visor, is half of a
sphere.

Agreed. With the four sculptures that are out there, I think that this is a
concept who's time has come. But I think the current sculptures are WAY
overpriced, i.e. the 3724 Dragon is the closest in part count, and they have
it priced at an insane US$99. That's right at an average of US$0.06 to
US$0.08 per element.

I think putting a sphere out as a set all by itself would generate interest
and multiple marketing possibilities.  For one, it may increase bulk
parts-pack plate sales for those who wish to alter their standard sphere as
they see fit.

The price I'm suggesting for LEGO Sculptor would make a 1200 count tub at
US$19.99 to US$29.99 be US$0.02 to US$0.03. That's not unreasonable, if you
consider that the LEGO Mosaic is a minimum of a 2035 piece kit (baseplate,
brick seperator, 44 black 2x4 roof tiles, 4 4x4 corner tiles, 5 piece
hanging kit, 1936 1x1 plates rounded up to the next highest multiple of 90
per bag [1980]) and you have a kit that is US$29.99 and US$0.02 per piece as
well.

Two sphere suggestions:

A Globe...

A Soccer Ball...

Good and great.

I also agree with making available a type of LEGO graph paper.  As the LEGO
sets get more advanced (I'm not talking Town Jr. here), and the bulk packs
are now available, people may want the opportunity to plan their more
elaborate ideas.  Packs of the graph paper could be sold in different
quantities and sizes. It is already abundantly available for the LEGO model
makers, so it seems more of a matter of packaging the product for the
public, rather than producing it.

I've thought this ever since I saw it in the Ultimate Lego Book. I already
make copious use of the PDF version in my designs, but one with blue lines
would be great.

If items like the ones mentioned above are not already in the works, then I
hope they will be someday soon.  I will be eagerly waiting for my next
catalog, credit card in hand.

Then send an email to legodirect@lego.com and request it! Do it today!

- Sean