 General / 32784
Re: ??? New Theme Proposal ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 00:39:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jim Schifeling writes:
I believe the single color tub to be the most favorable for a SaH exclusive
but on store shelves it would be a flop. It would take too much floor space
and how would a store order? Would a case come evenly packed? Many giant
retail stores won't reorder a toy line until the entire shelf is sold. If
you lived in a town with few stores would you ever see a purple? silver? The
absence of basic bricks like 2x1s, 1x1s in the catalog and SaH is hard to
understand. I would welcome the arrival of one color 1200 piece tubs. Even
if it came in a box with a b/w label.

Agreed. Althought I had never thought of Lego Sculptor as retail sets, I
imagine that if they did, the case would (in the instance of the 3033 Blue
Tub, 6 per case, I believe) include one of each primary color: white, red,
blue, yellow, green, black. Then, there would probably be a second SKU for
the second set of colors: light grey, purple, orange, brown, tan, dark grey.
Also, Lego might offer cases of each color, as needed. Again, I assumed it
would be a S@H thing anyway.

And yes, even in a box like the new S@H offerings, I would buy it as well,
just not at their outrageous pricing.

Corporations are slow to change, that's why if you look back 50 years most
companies in their hey-day then, no longer exist today. I hope it is not too
late for Lego, bleeding money like have lately, they have gone for the sure
thing, proven licenses.

Yikes. I love the Star Wars kits as much as the next AFOL, but those
licensing fees are what is killing Lego, in my opinion. It's easy to point
at LOM or Bionicle or Jack Stone and gripe about how lame they are, but they
are Lego's creations, not those of someone else. And, in the case of
Bionicle, Lego is being very savvy in that kids are buying them at an
average of about US$0.20 per element, WAY up from their other sets. And Lego
takes home ALL of the profits from the wholesale purchase. Even though it
kills me to say so, I'd rather NOT see any Star Wars Episode II: Attack of
the Clones kits if it meant that Lego would be more financially stable for
the next few years. Same with Harry Potter and Bob the Builder, but those
deals are already done.

- Sean