 General / 32791
Re: LEGO Sculptor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:19:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Gerlach writes:

snippage.....

1200 to 1800 pieces at a $20 to $30 price point?  Sounds great!!

What about if it was 1200 to 1800 pieces at $50 to $80 price point?  How
good does that sound?

I still say that the current 3033 tub is being sold for below or near their
production cost.  A specialized tub like you're proposing would need to make
some money in order for LEGO to go for it.

1200 pieces for $49.99 works out to 4.1667 cents per piece, still less than
any of the current bulk offerings.  1200 @ $69.99 = 5.83 per piece...

Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I'm trying to be realistic about this.
Yes, I'd *love* to be able to buy 1200 assorted pieces by color, with a
selection of bricks, plates, tiles and maybe even some roof bricks -- and
I'm sure other people would, too.  But, we have to let LEGO make at least a
bit of profit on the deal!

JohnG, GMLTC  (and former LEGO employee for almost 7 years)

John

Milissa and I thought the same thing.

Keep in mind this was ~2 months ago and my interpretation may be different
from others.  Perhaps Lar or somebaody else can confirm or clarify this better.

At Brickfest 2001, I brought this up with Brad J. at the Lego Direct meeting
as being a loss leader and that we (AFOL's) would be willing to pay $30-$40,
maybe even $50 for 3033 in single colors made available thru S@H. Especially
brown, tan, gray, dark gray, light blue & others.

After the applause and kudos died down (the only one that was bigger I
think, was when Brad announced the return of the Metroliner!), Brad assured
us that the 3033 was NOT a loss leader, but was less of a profit margin than
the typical line.

Brad also stated that the 3033 being made available like this was unlikely,
however, the possibilty of the current bulk bricks being offered at bulk
prices was a possibility. i.e. buying 10 or 20 packs with a discount for
bulk orders of bulk bricks..........not meant to be funny, just trying to
get my point across.

After all, they would have a better profit margin offering it thru S@H only
than at the same price point in the retail stores.

Thanx,

Mark M

added to Lego Direct to prove our interest & support in the single color 3033