 General / 32790
Re: LEGO Sculptor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:27:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sean Harrington writes:
For those who want to to see LEGO Sculptor become a reality, vote for it at...

http://www.lego.com/youropinion/

Ask for a bulk tub of bricks and plates of same color, 1200-1800 piece
count, US$19.99 to US$29.99 price point, LEGO graph paper pad included,
instructions for sphere, red, blue, yellow, green, white, black to start
with and other colors to follow.

1200 to 1800 pieces at a $20 to $30 price point?  Sounds great!!

What about if it was 1200 to 1800 pieces at $50 to $80 price point?  How
good does that sound?

I still say that the current 3033 tub is being sold for below or near their
production cost.  A specialized tub like you're proposing would need to make
some money in order for LEGO to go for it.

Look at the cost per piece on the current LEGO Direct bulk offerings:
  1x2 bricks @ 6 cents each (yea, I'm rounding - work with me!)
  2x2 bricks @ 7 cents
  2x4 bricks @ 14 cents
  1x6 bricks @ 14 cents
  2x8 bricks @ 36 cents
  or, 62 assorted bricks @ 8.05 cents each
  or, 42 assorted plates @ 11.88 cents each...

You're proposing 1200 @ $20 to 1800 @ $30 (1.67 cents per piece).  I really
don't see how LEGO can produce that set at the cost you want.

1200 pieces for $49.99 works out to 4.1667 cents per piece, still less than
any of the current bulk offerings.  1200 @ $69.99 = 5.83 per piece...

Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I'm trying to be realistic about this.
Yes, I'd *love* to be able to buy 1200 assorted pieces by color, with a
selection of bricks, plates, tiles and maybe even some roof bricks -- and
I'm sure other people would, too.  But, we have to let LEGO make at least a
bit of profit on the deal!

JohnG, GMLTC  (and former LEGO employee for almost 7 years)