 General / 32771
Re: ??? New Theme Proposal ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:17:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Sean Harrington writes:

On the classic brick front, though, I sent an email to Lego direct last week
asking for a Lego Sculptor kit. I suggested a set contained in a tub, like
the 3033, but the elements would ONLY in one color and would include plates
and tiles in addition to bricks.

The main "model" would be a Lego sphere, but the manual would be more of an
idea book than a manual. Also included should be a pad of Lego graph paper.

I think this idea is wonderful and has definite potential for an official
set.  When I bought the LEGO Mini Figure Sculpture (Set #3723), I was
floored by the instructions for the hat, which minus the visor, is half of a
sphere.

I think putting a sphere out as a set all by itself would generate interest
and multiple marketing possibilities.  For one, it may increase bulk
parts-pack plate sales for those who wish to alter their standard sphere as
they see fit.

Two sphere suggestions:

A Globe -  I've seen this in pictures of LEGOLAND, and in "The Ultimate LEGO
Book."  It could be sold world-wide (no pun intended) because, well, a globe
is not a regional product.  To include pieces to build a stand, and
ultimately have a globe that spins on it's axis on the stand, would be
fantastic.

A Soccer Ball -  LEGO has already established a soccer theme, and this would
be an incredible addition.  A LEGO soccer ball set, while probably geared
more for the early teen to adult building crowd, would certainly suit the
decor of bedrooms and playrooms worldwide.  I was able to convince my wife
to let me buy the $150 (and worth every penny) LEGO Mini Figure Sculpture
simply because I said it would someday make a nice addition to a kids room.

I also agree with making available a type of LEGO graph paper.  As the LEGO
sets get more advanced (I'm not talking Town Jr. here), and the bulk packs
are now available, people may want the opportunity to plan their more
elaborate ideas.  Packs of the graph paper could be sold in different
quantities and sizes. It is already abundantly available for the LEGO model
makers, so it seems more of a matter of packaging the product for the
public, rather than producing it.

I know there have been some programs available to do this, but it may be a
good idea for LEGO to control this market and offer some quality options.

If items like the ones mentioned above are not already in the works, then I
hope they will be someday soon.  I will be eagerly waiting for my next
catalog, credit card in hand.

Ken Wright