 Dear LEGO / 3346
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:10:31 GMT

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Lawrence Wilkes (<GHutoI.2yx@lugnet.com>) wrote at
13:37:06

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3B73DCD2.1372@mindspri
ng.com...
Jonathan Dallas wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Victor Knight writes:

The solution to TLG's woes isn't Bionicle or juniorization, I think the
solution is lowering prices, which we all know could be done.

Bionicle has some interesting features to it that could make it popular with
a different crowd.  I won't say anything against it till it has had a • chance.

From what I see, Bionicle is doing great. Whoever is buying it (kids who
would never have otherwise played with LEGO, or kids already captivated
by LEGO, but looking for something more than building yet another fire
station), it has a positive effect. Kids are buying LEGO and building
and playing. Sure, the play style is different from how most of us
played as kids, but then when I was a kid, mecha weren't really on the
horizon yet (and a mecha built with the pieces I had as a kid would be a
sorry sight).

I just can't agree with this.
They are NOT buying Lego (in the sense that AFOL would mean), they are buying a
plastic mecha toy.
I cannot see how them having a Bionicle in any would want to make them buy a
non-Bionicle Lego set.

Far from a positive effect (from a AFOL point of view), if Bionicle is
successful it will only inspire Lego to focus
even more on this stuff.

I agree with Lawrence here. But perhaps that's just where the market is.
After all, TLG doesn't make wooden toys any more, either.
--
Tony Priestman