 Publishing / 3497
Re: Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:22:05 GMT

Calling hi-jinx is. .... well I don't really know what it means. I think it
came from a South Park episode. My employees have been using it for a while
so I started using it.

I read the thread I didn't see anything that explained why he was taking
this measure. You are right, it is his baby and he can run as he sees fit. I
don't blame him for keeping his butt off the grill. If he wants he can make
us dance in his front-yard with hotdogs in our ears before we upload a pic.

Most websites make you be a member even if membership is free, that would
limit a lot of freeks right there and get rid of most people who aren't
serious about Brickshelf. As for uploading inappropriate material, isn't
this place pretty well self policed? Aren't there like 20-30 big-wigs like
yourself that are here daily.........ahem  hourly.

I just want to know what the worries are and if there is anything I can do
as long as I don't have to put hot dogs in my ears.

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.publish, Jim Schifeling writes:
Wouldn't it be just easier, quicker and better to have kids get permission
and have a gate? What exactly are we all worried about? Has someone posted a
snuff film or something?
I think this is nonsense but I don't know the how and why of it all yet.

I have to call hi-jinx until someone explains it.

While I have no idea what "call hi-jinx" means (Is it like a spell cast or
something?) I think it's *been* explained already. To my satisfaction,
anyway. Read the entire thread, it's not that big.

It's not clear to me that having "kids get permission" addresses the issue
of people uploading things that are kid inappropriate. Perhaps you could
elaborate on how it does, instead of casting aspersions.

The bottom line is that BrickShelf is a free resource that Kevin has
provided to us all, at no small cost in time and effort, and I support
whatever decisions he makes about how to provide it and what administrative
actions to take. It is, after all, his liability that is on the line, not
yours or mine.

Further, I have been moderating away like mad every chance I get (although I
suspect I'm only putting in a small fraction of the effort that others
have)... To Mark P's point, I have not been taking the time to adjust folder
placement, rightly or wrongly. I have just been approving or disapproving in
order to get as many folders back on line as fast as I could. If there are
particularly egregious examples, drop me (or any moderator) a note, and
perhaps they will be corrected. I will try to do better going forward.

I'm not sure who all the moderators are though, other than myself. Kevin
told me some of them but I forgot. There are a number of them though.